Thread: Why the blade size restriction on large bandsaws?

Why the blade size restriction on large bandsaws?

So I fell into a Laguna Resaw master and the minimum blade that it can run is 1/2", I would love to run a smaller blade, like 1/4" so that I could cut tighter corners.

Can anybody explain to me why a larger bandsaw can't run smaller blades?

I only have the resaw master and would love to get a good 12-14" bandsaw but it's not really in the funds right now. I am looking forward to resawing but this saw would mostly be used for normal bandsaw stuff if I could run a 1/4" blade on it..
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sudmeier View Post
    So I fell into a Laguna Resaw master and the minimum blade that it can run is 1/2", I would love to run a smaller blade, like 1/4" so that I could cut tighter corners.

Can anybody explain to me why a larger bandsaw can't run smaller blades?

I only have the resaw master and would love to get a good 12-14" bandsaw but it's not really in the funds right now. I am looking forward to resawing but this saw would mostly be used for normal bandsaw stuff if I could run a 1/4" blade on it..
    Tire crown and guides generally.

The Resawmaster is designed with SERIOUS resaw in mind, built to run 2" blades. I used one once and it is a resaw monster but I am not sure you will ever be happy with it for small work and contour cutting. I would contact Laguna, you may be able to get another set of guides that would help with the small blade issue.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I think the wheels are made to run pretty wide resaw blades so have either no crown or a fairly flat crown for that purpose. The upshot is if you run a small blade, and set it just forward of the wheels center, the set of its teeth cannot clear the tires subtle crown and are driven into the tire, which can lead to premature wear of both tire and blade. Oh, and because of that the guides are generally not built with small blades in mind. My 20" meber specs a 3/8" blade as the smallest size, and its crown is far more subtle than my old 14" which could easily run 1/4".

The guide issue is easy to over come. Does it have euro guides, or Laguna guides? With euro guides you can make a block that gets held by the regular guides and acts as a back for narrow bands. For Laguna guides call Laguna. This doesn't resolve the tire issue, but you make be willing to tolerate a little tire wear, maybe not?

I just checked the Laguna specs, minimum blade on the present Resaw master is 3/8", same as my saw, probably the tire crown issue. My manual explains the tire and blade set issue, and seems to suggest you could run smaller blades if you prefer "at your own risk on a limited basis". That is not a quote, but my impression of some bad english translated from Italian.

Thanks!! That's what I figured, aww well.

The deal on the Resaw Master was too good to pass up that it was worth the "issues".

I'll have to keep my eyes open for a smaller bandsaw.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"