Thread: Anyone familiar with online wood source "Woodworker's Source"?

Anyone familiar with online wood source "Woodworker's Source"?

I'm considering buying some of this mahogany:

http://www.woodworkerssource.com/mah...th_exotic.html

Anyone familiar with this source or have any other opinions on the potential purchase? I'd be looking at around 10 board feet. Price seems good, anyway, but buying unseen may be an issue. Thoughts?

TIA

Dan

I have bought from them many times, they have always been very good to work with.

I got an 8/4 x 5' board from them one time that had a deep slot in it from the tree it was cut from. It was just enough that I was not going to be able to use the whole board.

I shot a picture of it and sent them an email and ask them if they could cut me a deal on another board so I could finish the project. I got and email back within an hour and was told another one was on its way at no charge.

I think that is really good service.

I buy from them almost every month. Their prices are a little higher than some, but unlike with other dealers I've used, I've never been disappointed.

I've purchased from them many times. Always excellent quality lumber. Only negative is that their prices are on the high side.

5. I drop in when ever I am on that side of town (Tucson). Great people, great store, good coffee. As far as prices are concerned (now I don't buy a lot of exotics understand) I find their prices to very competitive. The big offset comes in quality. Quality is top notch - can't be beat.

Shipping costs are what they are. They charge for shipping and handling and their rates seem reasonable.

I've never bought online from them but I drop into our local store whenever possible. Very nice folks, and they carry a lot of Rockler items which means I dont' have to make the 50 mile drive to Rockler in Phoenix all the time. I've also seen them have some stellar sales on equipment.

Woodworkers source

I have known Keith the owner for 20 years and sell wood to them. They do what they say.

If you look on thier web page under wood blog you will find a story I did for them in Dec 2009 about Amazonian logging.

Thanks for the replies. The on-sale mahogany seems like a good deal, I think I might start with some of that.

How is the wood shipped? Do they just affix a label to a tied/taped bundle, or is it covered to avoid any damage. I know it's wood, so fairly robust, but still.

Prices seem high to me

Dan, I have never bought wood on line primarily because it seems to be so expensive. I also have a 13" planer so I save the cost of buying S2S lumber, but the prices I have seen on line are twice what I pay for domestic hardwoods. Check to see if you have any mini-mills in your area as they are often much more reasonable price wise. I like to build with walnut and cherry and I currently pay between $3.00-$3.60 per board foot, yet when I look on line this 4/4 lumber runs $7.00-$8.00 BF. Buying from a mini-mill (usually a one man operation) also allows you to see what your buying before putting your money up. I assume woodworkers choice is a good outfit from what the other folks have said in this thread but the prices just blow me away. Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mitchell View Post
    Thanks for the replies. The on-sale mahogany seems like a good deal, I think I might start with some of that.

How is the wood shipped? Do they just affix a label to a tied/taped bundle, or is it covered to avoid any damage. I know it's wood, so fairly robust, but still.
    The wood is totally wrapped in corrugated cardboard and then wrapped in plastic. The only thing missing is a ribbon and bow. They ship the Craft, Project and Pro packs via UPS. The Pro packs are shipped in 5, 20 bf packages. My UPS driver is so used to it he always comes into the shop to see what I made with the last batch.

It may be a bit more expensive, but besides the quality, it's real convenient.

To see how it's packaged check the photos on this link.

http://www.woodworkerssource.com/processed.php

Purchased from them several times. Nothing but a good experience.