Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are track saws any good?

Are track saws any good?

Are "track saws" like the DeWalt DC351KL are any good?

Of course, that is a ridiculously vague question and only someone who was looking for a pretext to buy another tool would ask it. OK, I confess.

I have the Festool version and of all my tools, I could live without it the easiest. Sorry, but that has been my experience. However, I have a small shop and winging around sheets of plywood is not easy and in addition, I am shifting more to furniture than cabinetry. I practically drool when I see my pro neighbor cut plywood on his huge cabinet saw with acres of outfeed and a very nice home made cross cut sled.

That particular track saw has been discontinued. But corded track saws are still sold by Festool, DeWalt, and Makita.

Yes, track saws are good. I use mine to break down plywood. It is easier and more accurate than trying to horse a full sheet through a table saw. I also use mine to straight-line roughsawn lumber.

Are track saws any good?

The Festool TS55EQ sure is.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    My Festool has been getting a real work out of late on rough sawn lumber for an accurate 1st edge.
    No jigs, wrestling with jointer, or a sled on the TS.
    I'm still amazed what a clean edge I get with my TS55EQ
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Dan said;
    "However, I have a small shop and winging around sheets of plywood is not easy ..."

One of the TrackSaw's strong points is that you don't need as much room, nor do you need to keep moving the sheets around. I use saw horses, but many folks lay the sheet on top of a piece of foam, right on the floor.

I have a Festool TS55 and the DeWalt cordless. They both cut extremely clean. The best part is that you can lay out your cuts and have all your pieces ready to use without ever moving the sheet of plywood or going near the table saw.

Yes ... track saws are good, at least to me.

Yes, I find my EZ smart to be very good for breaking down plywood, for home remodeling and furniture construction. I used my big 10" Makita circular saw on the track just a few weeks ago to cut all the 2x treated lumber to build a 60' retaining wall. I had previously used the same track with my router to wainscot a room and cut plywood for a storage cabinet. Very versatile and cost effective for me.

Stephen,

Yes, tracksaws are helpful in site work, less so in the shop in my experience. In my shop I instinctively go to my table saw, but when you have to make a tapered cut on site, they are great.

I have the Festool and the EZ system with a Bosch saw, both excel at slightly different tasks. The DeWalt corded model looked excellent when I looked at it in a tool store, not sure if the cordless was made as well.

Pete

Blog Entries
    Be sure to budget for a long track (8'+) or another track + joining elements. The included track is only adequate for 4' cuts or smaller.

Smile I have the Dewalt . . .

I have the Dewalt Track Saw. It is a breeze to use. Very accurate.

Try cutting an accurate 37 degree cut across a sheet of plywood. The track saw does it perfectly . . . .

Steve
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

Mine's shopmade and I love it. As another poster said, it's great for truing up live edges. And, it excels at cutting ply.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

I love the TS55, it's my favorite festool.

However I use it for making angle cuts, making a reference cut in sheet goods, and for cutting irregular pieces or anything that wouldn't work well with a TS fence.

The onlything I see better than owning a TS55 is having a full size horizontal sliding panel saw... or CNC. hehe

The track saw requires repeat measuring and cutting which means it takes focus to stay within 1/32 accuracy. This is why I wouldn't say it replaces a table saw which can repeat a cut more accurately, especially if you keep the fence setting the same.

I have the Festool as well and have been really happy with it. The cuts are ridiculously clean with absolutely no tearout. Currently I work in a 2 car garage, so the option of a table saw with big enough outfeed tables to support 4x8 ply isn't there. This lets me work in a small space very accurately and in my opinion safer- not only because I'm not pushing around a full sheet of ply that can kick back on me, but also because there is very little dust.

For smaller repeat cuts I switch to the table saw, but breaking down sheet goods at least for me couldn't be easier than with the TS55.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tsutsui View Post
    I love the TS55, it's my favorite festool.

The track saw requires repeat measuring and cutting which means it takes focus to stay within 1/32 accuracy. This is why I wouldn't say it replaces a table saw which can repeat a cut more accurately, especially if you keep the fence setting the same.
    The parallel guides are great for repeat cuts from thin strips to about 26".

I made a full size toe pincher coffin last night with my ts55. I could not have done it w/o the track saw. Very clean and accurate miter cuts.

Trace
    In an economy dependent on debt-based consumption, inflation is absolutely essential to reduce the real costs of servicing old debts so households can afford to buy more stuff on credit.

The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws.
    - Tacitus