Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: That's not "news"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Simmel View Post
    I dropped MSM years ago. Do yourself a favor and try Fox News and the various other websites (New Media).
    I almost squirted milk through my nose. That was too funny.

Just for the record, MSNBC makes no claim to being a news channel. You can put the word 'news' in a name but that doesn't mean that's what they do.
    Last edited by Greg Peterson; 09-26-2010 at 7:23 PM.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

2. Within the next few months, in the Chicago area, we'll have our first snow fall. This is usually preceded by the several days of "Storm Tracker" advertisements on the news stations. Every news cast seems to think that they have a better prediction of the storm and each wants to make it sound worse than their neighbor. God forbid someone just comes out and says that the storm doesn't look too bad. That does not sell.

Then, if the storm does materialize and we get some real weather, they send reporters out on the street to show people's reactions. As if the reactions aren't the same every year. Some people are taking it in stride and others are panicked. Big surprise.

However, my favorite is when they post a reporter and camera crew near an icy intersection and show the cars sliding through it and crashing into each other. Wouldn't their time be better spent trying to warn the drivers that there is a bad patch of ice at the intersection. I know, that wouldn't be self serving enough for a news cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Morgan View Post
    If it bleeds it leads!

I never watch the news. I can't do it. Its either propaganda of some sort, some made up nonsense loosely based on events that happened, or trying to sell you some crap product. There is nothing newsworthy on the TV "news" (or internet news for that matter). I've been in the news before. They chopped up what I said to make whatever point somebody paid them to make. I've had family in the news. One situation was reported almost 100% incorrect. When I gave them hell about it I got the reporter to admit that nobody would give them an interview and they had to write something so they just made it up! I've had my area in the news with all kinds of details that were reported wrong but could have easily been reported correctly with a simple look at a map. There is no honor or integrity in "news" journalism.
    Almost all media personnel abide by the "Famous OLD Quote" by a long gone but famous Reporter (that I cannot remember the name of) that said; "NEVER let the FACTS get in the way of a Good Story".
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

As I was driving in the rain today, I was so thankful to hear the news that it was 100% chance of rain today. Thanks for that.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Paul, it was local news on the radio, no tv's involved. Please, let's not go down the MSNBC, FoxNews, CNN path. That discussion won't end well on a public forum.

This was local news, broadcasting top of the hour updates on the radio.
    Sorry, my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post
    I almost squirted milk through my nose. That was too funny.

Just for the record, MSNBC makes no claim to being a news channel. You can put the word 'news' in a name but that doesn't mean that's what they do.
    "MSM" = "Mainstream Media" Again, my bad.

the top items seems to be news that involves cats and dogs

There is more news on the ticker line than there is from the commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie gates View Post
    There is more news on the ticker line than there is from the commentary.
    News flash. News and commentary are two different things. Pundits spend their time telling you why they are correct, regardless of the facts. News is simply reporting the facts.

Real news reporting doesn't require assuring the audience that they are receiving a fair and balanced report and therefore the viewer can decide. What's to decide? It's news. Cat got stuck in a tree. What's to decide? Someone committed a violent act in public. What's to decide?

News, and especially the punditry that parades as news, is manipulative. And because of this manipulative nature, it is reasonable to ask to what ends are the audience being driven like a herd of stampeding cattle?
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Facts are subject to manipulation by clever or biased reporting. That is why the need for opposite view points when discussing complicated issues.

People should be cautious to not take their info from any one source at all times.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I watch Fox2 news Detroit in the morning, and that is it. The rest of the day is SPEED and wherever else I find a race going on.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Careful, no need to get into the "news" section of this all and left vs. right, the intent of this thread was not to get into a "news channel" debate, but rather just to make lighthearted fun and how silly some of the stories are that are passed off as news, not whether or not someone's manipulating someone else or not.

Let's keep it that way and not end up with another deleted thread.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

A common household chemical may cause SUDDEN DEATH! Could you be a VICTIM? Tune in at ten to find out.

Hope I don't accidentally ingest that common household chemical before 10.

JOE , if you do ingest the common household chemical
    before 10 and die, you still have tune -in and watch the
    news report