Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: "...and the two shall become one..."

"...and the two shall become one..."

Well, this is the multi-piece turning on which I have been working, and for which the flutes were turned. It is different, and began with this -
    And the two shall become one.jpg

The base is curly maple, as are the streams, and the flutes are quilted maple with African Blackwood stems. The base is approx. 10" wide, and the overall height is just under 10". The flutes are 6" long.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Here is the 'Artist's Statement' as David Keller called it -

The African Blackwood and quilted maple flutes, depict the stark contrast of man and woman. There is little room for gray, as compromise has not been required. This union will require much of them.

Quick in strength and force, often a manifestation of power and energy, red symbolizes love, blood and the martyrdom of Christ and represents man in this union. Devotion and harmony, associated with understanding, blue is the color of tranquility symbolizing Mary and Advent.

The beautiful sea of purple, signifying divinity, reverence and royalty represents life together - no longer lives separate and apart, but one together - a new life melding the unique qualities of the two. The beautiful grain and chatoyance depict the vibrant life they share together. The volume of the pool exceeds the capacity of the goblets as their life together exceeds that which they would have had alone - boundless and free to reach out.

The first ripple is wide representing the struggle of coexistence, but then it subsides into calm. The next ripple represents the first of many conflicts, but over time, those conflicts fade in intensity, eventually exhibiting the peaceful calm that comes in the autumn of life.

2. Bravo!

John,

I have been waiting on this one to be presented to the public! You brought your concept to life! Great work, fantastic symbolism, and truths revealed in a piece of art.

I also sense a bit of a poet as well as an artist reside beneath those white locks of yours!

Congratulations on pulling this one off, especially with the carving and other things required to make it what it is.

BRAVO!!!!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Very Very Cooooooooool! Great idea.
    Jack

Quite unique John. I assume the lettering is lasered into the wood. Just beautiful. Hope you don't mind if a copy would come along someday? Love the artist's statement as well. Kind of makes me think of my union of many years.
    Last edited by Steve Mawson; 09-23-2010 at 4:16 PM.

Wonderful, John. Very inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

very nice, thanks for sharing

Thumbs up

Earth to Keeton.... what planet are you from John???
    I'm speechless...... Very artistic and the description is right of out some magazine I dont read.....but heard about! Time to hit the big time circuit, amigo!!

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Well, this is the multi-piece turning on which I have been working, and for which the flutes were turned. It is different, and began with this -
    And the two shall become one.jpg

The base is curly maple, as are the streams, and the flutes are quilted maple with African Blackwood stems. The base is approx. 10" wide, and the overall height is just under 10". The flutes are 6" long.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Here is the 'Artist's Statement' as David Keller called it -

The African Blackwood and quilted maple flutes, depict the stark contrast of man and woman. There is little room for gray, as compromise has not been required. This union will require much of them.

Quick in strength and force, often a manifestation of power and energy, red symbolizes love, blood and the martyrdom of Christ and represents man in this union. Devotion and harmony, associated with understanding, blue is the color of tranquility symbolizing Mary and Advent.

The beautiful sea of purple, signifying divinity, reverence and royalty represents life together - no longer lives separate and apart, but one together - a new life melding the unique qualities of the two. The beautiful grain and chatoyance depict the vibrant life they share together. The volume of the pool exceeds the capacity of the goblets as their life together exceeds that which they would have had alone - boundless and free to reach out.

The first ripple is wide representing the struggle of coexistence, but then it subsides into calm. The next ripple represents the first of many conflicts, but over time, those conflicts fade in intensity, eventually exhibiting the peaceful calm that comes in the autumn of life.

Very conceptual and creative. I'm sure it will be a hit.

John,

That is very well done! Excellent job!

Doug

John,

Stunning piece! What a creative idea and way to see it to fruition. You have set the bar even higher for yourself. Keep up the good work and keep posting pictures!

- Joe

Wow. That is just amazing. I find myself speechless.

Joshua

Speechless is right...!!

Wow, John...that's something I'd expect to see in the next AAW Journal!!

Fantastic vision to put that one together. Just remarkable. Wow!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Bravo! Bravo! Bravo!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I can only imagine the headaches this caused you. Just beautiful.
    I drink, therefore I am.

phenomenal.