Thread: modifying hitach mv12

modifying hitach mv12

hey guys

i just ordered the mv12 from amazon for $129.00. i plan to dedicate this to a table. i remember reading an article on line about modifications like taking the springs out and grinding some metal awat so it can accomodate some larger bits. anybody know what i'm talking about? i thought it was on pat warners web site, but it isn't. i also checked rod petersons with no luck. any help is appreciated.
    chris

Chris,
    Here you go. M12V Modifications I've been saving this in case I ever decide to get a router and table.

Tom

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Is the M12V a good hand held machine??? I'm real happy with my PC table set up. Hard to pass up that price
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Chris

I have 2 Mv12 routers. One mounted in table and one for hand held work. Have had no problems with ether. The mods linked by Tom basicly tell you all you need to know.

Tyler

The router is a bit heavy wich can be a good thing (for stability) or a bad thing. (Don't drop it on your foot). I have had no problems using the router for hand held work. The slow start and the mass of the router Make it very stable. I am still thinking about dust collection for the routers. Any one have any suggestions?
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by David Wilson
    Chris

I am still thinking about dust collection for the routers. Any one have any suggestions?
    There is a dust hood for the MV12. It's clear plastic and
    mounts to the "ears" on the base. I found it by searching
    the web. If I can find the link I will post it.

Bill

thanks tom...just what i was looking for........
    chris

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marcheck
    There is a dust hood for the MV12. It's clear plastic and
    mounts to the "ears" on the base. I found it by searching
    the web. If I can find the link I will post it.

Bill
    Bill,

Is this a aftermarket accessory or is it a Hatachi? Bought a Hatachi and I'm interested to see what It looks like.

thanks, Pete

FWIW, I've owned a Hitachi TR12 since 1983 and it's still giving me good service. I love the idea of now building a dedicated table around it. (so many projects .... so little time )

Chris,
    I just finished installation of same router in table. Read about spring removal. Its almost as many pro as con. I left mine in. I use a Rout-R-Lift that I bought a year ago and have had no problem. I did remove the ears on the bottom, metal cutting jig saw and clean up with round file. I also drilled hole for 1/4 20 all thread rod into spindle lock so I could put a knob on outside of table. You will definitely want to get the bent wrench.
    Ernie
    Ernie on-the-dry-side; WA

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Scott
    Chris,
    Here you go. M12V Modifications I've been saving this in case I ever decide to get a router and table.

Tom
    Thanks to Tom for listing the URL. I use to remove the springs but with ROuter Raizer installed you do not need to.

John Lucas
    woodshopdemos.com
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    Is the M12V a good hand held machine??? I'm real happy with my PC table set up. Hard to pass up that price
    EEEEEEK!!! Hey Tyler, ol' buddy, I hate to tell you this, but that router has a CORD on it, which you plug into an ELECTRICAL outlet, and kill ELECTRONS in the process of using it!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    EEEEEEK!!! Hey Tyler, ol' buddy, I hate to tell you this, but that router has a CORD on it, which you plug into an ELECTRICAL outlet, and kill ELECTRONS in the process of using it!
    John,
    If they die, they die! That's a great price.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    John,
    If they die, they die! That's a great price.
    No, that's an *AWESOME* price! I believe I paid $149.00 for mine quite a while ago and that was a "great" price! Although it's spent the bulk of its life in the table, it's a super unit and for that kind of $$, you can't go wrong.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I have an M12V and have used it with very large bits (panel raising, etc.) You do not have to remove the ears for any normal router bit. It would be easier to tighten the collet without the ears, but mine are still in place.

I have used the M12V as a hand-held router, but it is HEAVY. In a table that is fine, but when you are holding it in front of you (say, on a dovetail jig), it is a killer to the shoulders. (Also, some of this hand-held use requires the ears.) Therefore I got different lighter router for handheld use.