Thread: Band Saw Dust Collection...My Solution

Band Saw Dust Collection...My Solution

Okay, last July, I finally finished putting my BS together, with a custom base and upgrades. One of the things I did, was to put a 4" port under the table for dust collection. Worked great for that stuff that made it under the table, but over the table left a bit to be desired (read...a heck of a mess!). Within the last two weeks or so, I finally upgraded my DC piping to 6". So, my options just changed. Here's my solution.

First, here is the link to my thread about the under the table 4" flex pipe placement if you want more pics:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...1178916&page=2

The firs shot is of the split from a 6" pipe to two 4" pipes. They each have blast gates. Made for great connections from pvc to flexpipe...without all the duct tape.

Next is a shot of the under the table 4" flexpipe. Again, if you want more pics of it, go to the above thread.

Next is the above the table 4" flexpipe with an elbow from a front view. If you look closely you will see that there is a piece of flex pipe AFTER the elbow. That is because I got sick and tired of hearing all the little pieces that I had cut off hitting the impellor blade on the DC! The piece of flex pipe was necessary to hole the drain plug (with slots) that I wanted to add to stop all the pieces from getting sucked up. It was a standard plug from the Borg that goes into pvc (not schedule 40).

The next is of the above the table flexpipe from behind the saw. It shows the flex pipe being held up with a very small bungi cord. I may come up with something better later, but this worked for now.

The last one shows the overall look.

Now I just need to do this to my other BS, too!

Hope this helps some of you who always hate all the dust the BS makes...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I drink, therefore I am.

Nice job, Mike !

My BS and my CMS are on the short list for dust-collection upgrades.

I've noticed more than a few articles on the subject. I'm adding yours to the heap !

I did something similar, but ran a 2.5" branch to the upper guide, and the 4" is ducted via S&D pipe, back to the Wye. It works exceptionally well.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Good post I linked my "Dust Shroud Threads" link here also
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028