Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tape Measure Question

Tape Measure Question

Ok Ladies and Gents - Help me out here...

...After all the years I have been a woodworker, it is finally time to get an answer to my question:

Why does the hook on the end of a tape measure move instead of being stationary? There must be a good reason as all of them are like this.

Blog Entries
    It moves the thickness of the hook. When you measure inside of a length, it measure the same amount as if the hook was on the outside...

EDIT: To make it a bit more clear... this distance from the outside of the hook (when pushed in) to the 1" mark is the same as the distance from the inside of the hook (when pulled out) to the 1" mark... 1".
    Last edited by Dan Hintz; 09-25-2010 at 8:14 PM. Reason: Made it a little more clear
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    It moves the thickness of the hook. When you measure inside of a length, it measure the same amount as if the hook was on the outside...
    +1 That's what I've read many places.

That is waaay...

... to simple and it makes perfect sense.

Thanks

I have a flexible panel tape that sits flat on sheet goods but does not take inside measurements. Its hook is fixed. 1++ on hook moves to keep inside measurements "Accurate".

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    I have a flexible panel tape that sits flat on sheet goods but does not take inside measurements. Its hook is fixed. 1++ on hook moves to keep inside measurements "Accurate".
    And less accurate over time as the hole elongates. One reason to always use the same tape throughout a project. It's often ok for a measurement to be off, as long as it is consistent.

I would prefer to have fixed a hook...

...even if it meant two seperate measures.

I have a nice 12" hook steel rule that is always my first pick.

Maybe I should look into some thing like what you have Peter as I was not aware of the product.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Overton View Post
    And less accurate over time as the hole elongates.
    Thats why you never, ever, let the tape snap back into the case.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

Several years (well many years) ago a newly graduated engineer went to work where I do. He was given a new tape measure along with other things needed to do his job. Assuming something was wrong with the end of his tape, he took it to the model shop to have someone tighten up the little rivet that the hook slides on. The news spread like wildfire Even though he is an Engineering Manager now he still has to deal with that and I know when he retires, someone will bring that up at his retirement party.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Fries View Post
    Maybe I should look into some thing like what you have Peter as I was not aware of the product.
    FastCap makes a tape like that. They call it "Flat back". There is no curve to the tape itself to keep it stiff, so it is "limp" like a piece of string. It works well to measure curved surfaces, but it is not ridgid enough to measure inside dimensions and would be a pain on anything that was fairly long.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Allen View Post
    FastCap makes a tape like that. They call it "Flat back". There is no curve to the tape itself to keep it stiff, so it is "limp" like a piece of string. It works well to measure curved surfaces, but it is not ridgid enough to measure inside dimensions and would be a pain on anything that was fairly long.
    I've got one of those. It's SOOOO much better for taking flat measurements than a standard tape. FastCap really nailed it with their tape measures.

I had a couple of FastCap tapes. While they were flat, very nice, the markings did not extend to the edge. In order to use them accurately I had to use a square in conjunction with the rule. They went in the trash.

Tip of the day: If you are working with someone else it is always good to check your tapes against each other. Different brands or semi-worn vs. new can have different measurements. (If your partner is giving you measurements and you are marking them off you can be off because of the differences) And you should always use the same tape from beginning to end of a project to keep your measurements consistent or at least make sure your tapes are consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Overton View Post
    I had a couple of FastCap tapes. While they were flat, very nice, the markings did not extend to the edge. In order to use them accurately I had to use a square in conjunction with the rule. They went in the trash.
    Mine go right to the edge. They just don't go to the edge on both sides of the tape.

They don't have to be old or worn to be off, either.
    I have a brand new tape that is about 1/32 off. And the hook moves freely.
    I usually check them in the store, this one I did not.