Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Negative Rake Scraper

Negative Rake Scraper

I was asked to post pictures of the scraper I used in making my manzanita bowl.

So here it is. It is just a large bowl scraper from WoodRiver. But I ground a small "negative rake" on the top edge. It is supposed to be roughly 10-15 degrees. This allows the top/cutting edge to be down-sloped like it is supposed to be without having to tilt the whole tool, which is hard inside a bowl. It also lets you "ride the bevel" and still have the cutting edge in a trailing position.

I tried to measure the angle of mine but no joy. Looking at the pictures it seems that my angle is too shallow. But it worked great on my bowl.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php...94&postcount=3

I hope this helps someone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the pictures, Greg. I have trouble using a large scraper on my bowls and usually use one 1" or smaller. Having the negative rake grind may be helpful.
    Thanks again.

Marc Himes

Thanks

Thanks Greg, that is a nice series of photos. I saved them for the future. I'm looking forward to experimenting with the negative rake.
    TB

Negative rake

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ketell View Post
    I was asked to post pictures of the scraper I used in making my manzanita bowl.

So here it is. It is just a large bowl scraper from WoodRiver. But I ground a small "negative rake" on the top edge. It is supposed to be roughly 10-15 degrees. This allows the top/cutting edge to be down-sloped like it is supposed to be without having to tilt the whole tool, which is hard inside a bowl. It also lets you "ride the bevel" and still have the cutting edge in a trailing position.

I tried to measure the angle of mine but no joy. Looking at the pictures it seems that my angle is too shallow. But it worked great on my bowl.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php...94&postcount=3

I hope this helps someone.
    Concerning the scrapers, do you turn the scraper upside down to achieve this negative rake?

Greg,

I don't think you ride or rub the bevel with this tool. If you are doing a scraping cut, then the tool is flat on the tool rest, and the blade is angled down, and handle is high, there is no way the bevel can rub. The negative rake does make a very fine burr which is excellent for very light finish cuts, but not good for roughing cuts, as the burr disappears very fast. I believe that the negative rake makes it very difficult for the tool to catch because of the negative angle.

You could actually rub the bevel if you have the scraper on its edge, at a 45 degree angle, which is used for a finish cut, but as far as I know, I am the only one who uses this cut. I have a specialized tool for this which is swept back like yours, but comes to a point so it more resembles half of a swept back bowl gouge. I don't think this is the cut you are talking about.

I do use 1 3/8 inch scrapers on bowls as a standard roughing tool. It is important to keep the tool rest close to the work as that is a lot of steel to put on the wood at one time, and if you are not ready for it (long strong handle, and tool rest close), or don't have the horse power, it won't work too well. A smaller scraper can be much less 'work' for the turner and lathe.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Greg,

I don't think you ride or rub the bevel with this tool. If you are doing a scraping cut, then the tool is flat on the tool rest, and the blade is angled down, and handle is high, there is no way the bevel can rub.
    That is the point of the negative rake. You can have the tool horizontal and have the cutting edge going downhill rather than having the entire tool going down hill.

The negative rake does make a very fine burr which is excellent for very light finish cuts, but not good for roughing cuts, as the burr disappears very fast. I believe that the negative rake makes it very difficult for the tool to catch because of the negative angle.
    If you hold the tool slightly downhill, then yes, the cuttings are very fine indeed. Hold the tool horizontal and it is a bit more aggressive, but you are right it won't be useful for roughing. But I didn't think that was the job of a scraper?

You could actually rub the bevel if you have the scraper on its edge, at a 45 degree angle, which is used for a finish cut, but as far as I know, I am the only one who uses this cut.
    I learned about that cut in some wood turning video. I've used it once with my small scraper but never with this big one. Too much rotating leverage. And you are right, it made a Wonderful finish.

I have a specialized tool for this which is swept back like yours, but comes to a point so it more resembles half of a swept back bowl gouge. I don't think this is the cut you are talking about.
    Nope.

I do use 1 3/8 inch scrapers on bowls as a standard roughing tool. It is important to keep the tool rest close to the work as that is a lot of steel to put on the wood at one time, and if you are not ready for it (long strong handle, and tool rest close), or don't have the horse power, it won't work too well. A smaller scraper can be much less 'work' for the turner and lathe.

robo hippy
    Interesting. Why use a scraper for roughing? Why not a hollowing tool or a big bowl gouge?

I got my first real advice on grinding and using a negative rake scraper at a demo by Stuart Batty and by talking to him later. Stuart later wrote an article on the use of the scraper for the AAW Journal.

For best results, the steel used in a neg rake should be harder than the regular M2 HSS, but M2 will work. After talking with Stuart, I ground my NR at about 30 deg. on both bevels. The harder the wood, the better the NR works. It should be used flat on the toolrest and the handle should be level. Only very light finishing cuts should be taken. It's not meant to remove wood, just to smooth it. It must have a good burr. Won't work without it. The burr might last for 15 seconds or so. Then it's back to the grinder. Actually a skew chisel laid flat works as a NR.

I first became convinced of it's value when I was turning a platter from very tight grained quilted maple. Because the grain changes direction constantly with quilt, it tends to chip out even when taking very carefull cuts with a gouge. Using my newly ground NR I carefully removed all of the tiny chip outs and the surface was so smooth that it required very little sanding.

Wally
    Last edited by Wally Dickerman; 09-27-2010 at 1:17 AM.

The shear/finish cuts with a scraper at 45 degrees can be done with the big scrapers, and I do use a round nose scraper. Like you said, with bigger scrapers, the rotational forces could cause problems as in slamming down. To prevent this, always work on the bottom part of the scraper edge, and never above the middle line of the tool. I guess this would translate to don't work with the nose of a round nose scraper, only on the swept back part closest to the tool rest. A burr from the grinder is good for as long as any gouge for roughing, and can give a good finish surface. A scraper with a burnished burr is also great, and gives a slightly finer cut.

As for scrapers being a roughing tool, what is the primary cut you use when you are roughing with a bowl gouge? You have the tool with the flutes on the side. You may have the handle level, or even dropped, but this is a scraping cut. What better tool for a scraping cut than a scraper. Hollowing tools are scrapers, the Oland (3/8 inch HSS bit in a bar, with a scraper bevel on it) tool is a scraper, the Easy Rougher, and other carbide tools with flat cutters (not the ones with the concave discs) are scrapers. I started playing with them some years ago out of curiosity. Scrapers used to be the go to tool for bowls before there were gouges, and I wanted to find out how they worked. They work amazingly well, and for me, they work more efficiently. One added benefit is that when roughing, they throw the shavings up over your hand, not across the top of it like a gouge will. Most people prefer the gouge, but I have had a number of people come up to me after a bowl turning demo and mention that they have to rethink what they know about scrapers.

robo hippy

The shear/finish cuts with a scraper at 45 degrees can be done with the big scrapers, and I do use a round nose scraper. Like you said, with bigger scrapers, the rotational forces could cause problems as in slamming down. To prevent this, always work on the bottom part of the scraper edge, and never above the middle line of the tool. I guess this would translate to don't work with the nose of a round nose scraper, only on the swept back part closest to the tool rest. A burr from the grinder is good for as long as any gouge for roughing, and can give a good finish surface. A scraper with a burnished burr is also great, and gives a slightly finer cut.
    Agree with all the above. Although using the scraper to do the bottom of the bowl prevents using anything but the nose so ...

As for scrapers being a roughing tool, what is the primary cut you use when you are roughing with a bowl gouge? You have the tool with the flutes on the side. You may have the handle level, or even dropped, but this is a scraping cut.
    Actually, I only use that cut for "finishing" cuts on the side or exterior. For roughing I use the 45/45/45 cut: tool handle down at 45 degrees, handle trailing the tip so the shaft makes 45 degrees to what you are cutting, flute rolled open 45 degrees. (tool rest adjusted so that in this position the cutting is happening right at center line). Great for hogging out lots of material and yet retains good control.

What better tool for a scraping cut than a scraper. Hollowing tools are scrapers, the Oland (3/8 inch HSS bit in a bar, with a scraper bevel on it) tool is a scraper, the Easy Rougher, and other carbide tools with flat cutters (not the ones with the concave discs) are scrapers. I started playing with them some years ago out of curiosity. Scrapers used to be the go to tool for bowls before there were gouges, and I wanted to find out how they worked. They work amazingly well, and for me, they work more efficiently. One added benefit is that when roughing, they throw the shavings up over your hand, not across the top of it like a gouge will. Most people prefer the gouge, but I have had a number of people come up to me after a bowl turning demo and mention that they have to rethink what they know about scrapers.

robo hippy
    Yup, they definitely have their place. And can be used for lots of things. The bottom of deep bowls aren't one of them without a negative rake (for me).

I'd second what Wally said, of course who can argue with the old wizard. I have seen skews used as an neg rake scraper and I have seen scrapers ground so that about 1/2 of the thickness is ground off on the top. Most things seem to say they work better on dense woods. I've ground a couple of scrapers but I'm still experimenting

Wally, and or any one else, has any one ever experimented with a burnished burr on a negative rake scraper?

robo hippy

Wally, and or any one else, has any one ever experimented with a burnished burr on a negative rake scraper?

robo hippy
    If anyone is interested, Stuart Batty's article on Neg. rake is in the Spring 2006 issue of American Woodturner. Interesting reading.

Reed, I checked Stuart's article and he says that a ground burr should be used and not one raised by burnishing. He doesn't say why. He recommends harder than M2 steel because the burr will last longer. M4 or A11. The reason a fresh burr is needed is that when the burr is gone the turner needs to press a little harder and the tool will pull out small wood fibers. He grinds the tool at a steep angle. About 50 deg.

Wally

I bought a burnisher, Kerry tools I believe, although I can't seem to find the page anymore. Works pretty good. Any rod burnisher would work......

Negative rake scrapers are really handy for finishing cuts on acrylic as well. I frequently use them on my duck calls and on pens.

I would guess that my curiosity about the burr on a negative rake scraper came from playing with a piece of Mountain Mahogany. I was turning a spindle, on a piece that was maybe 20 degrees off of being straight grain (as in it went side ways rather than straight. One side of the spindle cut clean, the other cut with some tear out. No matter what I did with a skew, or other tools, that was the result. I did try a shear cut with my scraper, and got a slightly smoother cut that way, and about the same cut with a negative rake scraper flat on the tool rest, and the best cut was with a negative rake scraper at a skewed angle. Hmmmmmmm........ may have to experiment some more.

robo hippy