Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: byo bowsaw tfww

byo bowsaw tfww

Hello again. Im interested in a bow saw. I see tools for working wood sells a kit. My question is has anybody done this and was it something an intermetiate wood wooker could do? Also they use Hickory for there saw I have seen others use hard maple. I have done some work with hickory and I know it is a bear to work. I wonder if there is that much more a benifit from using hickory.

Robert,

Think axe handles or hammer handles. Maple is considered a hardwood, but it really isn't very hard, compared to say, Oak or Rosewood for example. Hickory isn't only hard, it's tough. A test could be done by supporting a 3ft. length of Hickory at each end, then measuring how many pounds applied to the center it would take to break it. Then do the same with Maple. With all things being equal, the Maple would break with less weight. I haven't actually done this test, so it's only conjecture on my part, but my money is on the Hickory.

Marv

Blog Entries
    I made the kit, I had some scraps of soft maple laying around, so I made a frame from that. It has held up so far. I don't expect it to last for years and years. It was also my first so I figure when I get some hickory I will have had some good practice and be ready to make a frame I will be proud of.

Edit. haha my bowsaw is in my avatar... I forgot about that.
    Last edited by Andrew Gibson; 09-27-2010 at 9:29 AM.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

The TFWW Gramercy bow saw is a very fine saw. I made mine using their plans and their pin ends, my own wood.

Instead of hickory, I used oak. I had oak on hand and used it. No regrets. It's plenty strong enough. The resulting saw is very light and an absolute delight to use.

Oh yeah, on difficulty of making .... You should have no difficulty making the frame. A spokeshave is a nice tool to use for shaping the curved parts, but not essential. A lathe is also nice for shaping the handles, but you can do just as well with octagonal shaped handles shaped with chisels.

It's a very fine saw that I use almost daily. more: http://www.bob-easton.com/blog/?p=255
    Last edited by Bob Easton; 09-27-2010 at 12:56 PM. Reason: correct typo

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Easton View Post
    The TFWW Gramercy bow saw is a very fine saw. I made mine using their plans and their pin ends, my own wood.

Instead of hickory, I used oak. I had oak on hand and used it. No regrets. It's plenty strong enough. The resulting saw is very light and an absolute delight to use.

Oh yeah, on difficulty of making .... You should have no difficulty making the frame. A spokeshave is a nice tool to use for shaping the curved parts, but not essential. A lathe is also nice for shaping the handles, but you can do just as well with octagonal shaped handles shaped with chisels.

It's a very fine saw that I use almost daily. more: http://www.bob-easton.com/blog/?p=255
    I have been thinking about building one as well, so glad to see people's input on this thread. Nice to see the oak worked, as here in the northwest hickory/pecan doesn't exactly... uh... grow on trees... Although I must say my limited experience with oregon white oak is that it can also be pretty difficult to work with by hand, so may not be any easier than hickory.

I would think that ash would be a reasonable substitute as well.

Here's my build of the TFWW saw: http://www.closegrain.com/2010/06/bu...y-bow-saw.html. It's easily within beginner/intermediate woodworker skills. While I turned the handles on a lathe, you could plane down squared blanks into octagons and hand-round them a bit from there (see Bob Smalser's posts on hand-rounded chisel handles in the FAQ). I haven't used it much yet, but it handles nicely.

I made it from Honduras rosewood, because, um, I got confused about what hickory looks like in my wood rack.
    Steve, mostly hand tools. Click on my name above and click on "Visit Homepage" to see my woodworking blog.

I made one from walnut. It was easier than I thought it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Marv Werner View Post
    Robert,

Think axe handles or hammer handles. Maple is considered a hardwood, but it really isn't very hard, compared to say, Oak or Rosewood for example. Hickory isn't only hard, it's tough. A test could be done by supporting a 3ft. length of Hickory at each end, then measuring how many pounds applied to the center it would take to break it. Then do the same with Maple. With all things being equal, the Maple would break with less weight. I haven't actually done this test, so it's only conjecture on my part, but my money is on the Hickory.

Marv
    This is an interesting thread and it is motivating me to quit procrastinating and just build one. In looking at the construction notes, I am thinking a drawknife and shave horse will make pretty quick work of this project.

Marv, I did see your comments regarding strength of maple versus hickory and oak. Interestingly, hickory is the strongest hardwood, but only slightly more than white oak, ash and hard maple. Hard maple is slightly stronger than ash, about equal to white oak and significantly stronger than red oak. Even soft maple is quite strong, just not very hard and thus subject to denting. Take a look at this chart regarding relative strengths of North American hardwoods. http://workshopcompanion.com/KnowHow...d_Strength.htm

Regards, Patrick

the best wood for a bow saw is the same wood that we use
    to build a hunting BOW since the wood perform the same
    function

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    function
    And that wood would be?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tipton View Post
    This is an interesting thread and it is motivating me to quit procrastinating and just build one. In looking at the construction notes, I am thinking a drawknife and shave horse will make pretty quick work of this project.

Marv, I did see your comments regarding strength of maple versus hickory and oak. Interestingly, hickory is the strongest hardwood, but only slightly more than white oak, ash and hard maple. Hard maple is slightly stronger than ash, about equal to white oak and significantly stronger than red oak. Even soft maple is quite strong, just not very hard and thus subject to denting. Take a look at this chart regarding relative strengths of North American hardwoods. http://workshopcompanion.com/KnowHow...d_Strength.htm

Regards, Patrick
    Marv might be talking about bigleaf maple.

Funny enough, since ash was brought into this, I have a book - might be one of the WPINCA books - that mentions ash is very hard but not preferable for benches and tools because it becomes brittle with age. If that's true, then it might be a bad choice for a big bowsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Vandiver View Post
    And that wood would be?
    I'm putting in a pre-guess of osage.

I've heard of that, maple, and birch being laminated into bows. There's probably plenty more, but I've never had a bow that didn't have wheels on the end of it.

Except that a bow for arrows, whether compound or single pull, needs to be flexible with a lot of spring return, whereas a bow saw needs to be rigid to tension the blade! Now, a bow for a spring lathe would be a good candidate for an archery bow...

Also, I'm just guessing here, but I'd say that because the TFWW saw blades are light gauge (basically just long coping saw blades), if you put enough tension on the saw to damage the wood, you're just as likely to have the metal break first. With the exception of a wood that becomes brittle, I would expect that any strong, rigid wood would be fine.

Larger bowsaws, especially using the larger German blades, are a different story. There you have a much heavier piece of metal; the wood will fail long before the metal.
    Steve, mostly hand tools. Click on my name above and click on "Visit Homepage" to see my woodworking blog.

The wood species traditionally used by the English for long bows is yew.

Sounds slightly off...

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    function
    Disagree slightly as a hunting bow stores and releases energy quickly with as little as 30 lbs pull for a light one, and should be stored without tension. A bow saw tensions a blade / web with as little distortion as possible and hopefully never releases it under force.

The requirements are different and the specs for the wood should be so also (no doubt adjusting the scantlings would compensate).

Cheers,
    Peter