Thread: How many coats of Polyurethane

How many coats of Polyurethane

Hi,

I have sanded and cleaned our pine stair case. Applied two coats of Satin finish "minwax" floor varnish. Quick (Lightly)sanding with 300 grit between coats. How many coats should I apply. There are 4 people in the house stairs are used frequently. Thanks

Joe

There are 4 people in the house stairs are used frequently.
    Do every other stair.

I usually only go three coats - however - a fourth will increase the wearability of the finish significantly.
    The downside w/a fourth is that it's harder to remove @ some future date.

Depending on the thickness of the coats 3-4 should be about right.

Every other step is a good idea if you need to use the stairs. Put a piece of blue painter tape on the steps to be used, while the others are drying.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Thanks for the replies. I used painters tape to divide the stairs in half and do each half. Just finished the 3rd coat I will lightly sand an apply the 4th.

Joe

If while doing half a step at a time, you have lap marks, etc. on the steps; then, do every other step all the way across to produce one final coat on each step...
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.