Thread: What to do?

Question What to do?

I am a semi-serious collector of old tools. My collection is not huge (40 -50 planes,lots of chisels,scrapers, spokeshaves drawknives, braces and bits,etc). As you would imagine the tools are divided between good users and collectibles. I am out of space, getting older and need to do something with these tools that are surplus to my needs. I have 3 sons but only one could use some of these tools. I certainly don't want to give them away at garage sale prices although I would certainly donate some if I could find a school or other organization that would really use them. Is there anybody out there that is in the same boat? Let me know your thoughts and experiences. I would really appreciate your input!
    Peter Leyden

First dibs right here.

Quote Originally Posted by peter leyden View Post
    I am a semi-serious collector of old tools. My collection is not huge (40 -50 planes,lots of chisels,scrapers, spokeshaves drawknives, braces and bits,etc). As you would imagine the tools are divided between good users and collectibles. I am out of space, getting older and need to do something with these tools that are surplus to my needs. I have 3 sons but only one could use some of these tools. I certainly don't want to give them away at garage sale prices although I would certainly donate some if I could find a school or other organization that would really use them. Is there anybody out there that is in the same boat? Let me know your thoughts and experiences. I would really appreciate your input!
    Peter Leyden

You might want to list some of them in Sawmill Creek Classifieds or ebay. I'm not in the same boat quite yet, but I've thought about what to do with all my stuff when I'm not longer able to work.

I have two daughters and two grandsons, but really am not encouraging them my grandsons to take up ww. My wife and daughters would sell them to the first person who walked in the shop. At some point, I think it wise to sell the tools to knowledgeable buyers at a reasonable price rather than leaving it to the family to let them rust in the shed or give them away at a garage sell or CL.

Blog Entries
    This is something I have also pondered. I am hoping one of my grandchildren or even some of the older children will show an interest.

I really do not have any tools that would be considered to be in collector condition. You might want to try to auction them on ebay. I understand that prices are better just after Christmas into tax refund time.

I am also sure there are many folks here at SMC that would be happy to buy some good users if you wanted to hang on to the finer specimens.

If you really do not need the money, the one son that could use them may also benefit from them all in being able to sell them to buy wood to make things.

If you live in a metropolitan area, you might check with the museums to see if they might want to display them or use them to raise money.

I quit counting my planes after about 50 and I am not a collector. Though that is likely all open to opinion.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Sell them at eBay >Collectable >Tools use the money to buy your sons a gift or as others say sell them here..

PS make them something like a picture frame and Family Picture as a keep sake as well
    Last edited by Johnny Kleso; 09-27-2010 at 9:23 PM.
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

I say...

If you go the selling route, try to put them on the Creek first. That way you know the folks will (usually) take care of the tools and put them to good use.

You could also donate some of them to a museum, or even to a state/county/city park or historic site. Some private historic places may be interested as well. I, for one, would be thrilled if someone wanted to donate even a few 1800-1945 era woodworking or blacksmithing tools to the park where I work. Many parks and historic sites have roots in manual trades, and most of the tools that I have seen on display haven't been in that great of shape. It is sometimes hard to tell what the object is or how it is supposed to function.

Good luck in thinning the herd!

Quote Originally Posted by peter leyden View Post
    I would certainly donate some if I could find a school or other organization that would really use them.
    Having been on the receiving end of such generosity, I can definitely say any donated tools will be greatly appreciated. I work at a small private high school in san francisco. In 2008 I started a woodshop class, and at the time didn't have any good tools nor any idea where to find some. After foolishly buying a few junky planes and handsaws at the BORG, I put an ad on craigslist requesting tools. A retired cabinet maker responded and donated a great set of old planes, handsaws, braces and bits. It totally transformed the class I am forever grateful to him. Hopefully there is a school in your area that could benefit from your generosity.