Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rotary Engraving Question- Brass

FIGURED IT OUT!!!!!!!!

There's a page in the settings where you specific the depths of cuts for each pass. So you do that, send it over to the machine, manually bring it down close to the work top, loosen the cutter, let it slide down until touching the top of the work, tighten that up, hit the button, it returns up in Z, then takes off, cuts the work, using multiple passes as well.

My test piece in aluminum has paint drying in it as we speak!

See, all it needed was a threat to quit!

Thanks for the help from all, I guess I can go home today and say "I learned soemthing"
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

So yours is computer controlled? Mine is mechanically controlled with a micrometer and limiting stops.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Yes, all computer controlled.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    You have to disable the pressure sensing adjustment in the software, send the job over and manually do some stuff to bring it to a place to engrave. The bad part is that the instructions use terminology that's not listed anywhere in the rest of the manual, so it tells to you move things and there's no idea what it's talking about.
    Steve,

Are you using Viper or Microstepper. If MicroStepper, the step by step instuctions can be found under Help>(search for)Manual Cutter Set at Start.

But what size signs? Unless something below 3" x 10" I agree with Rodney that you need a sacrifice sheet (1/32" polypropelene or similar). This is what I see most desktop engravers using to do large, finished brass signs. That is, IMHO, there is no practical way to do non nose cone engraving on large sheets because you can't keep the brass flat.
    Roy Brewer[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Epilog/Control Laser/Roland engravers/Xenetech

Thanks Roy, they were 1 1/2" x 4 1/2", and they are all done now.

Used double sided tape to hold them down, make 3 passes, cut really nice. No burrs on the edges or anything.

We have the microstepper. Windows 95 Don't get me started on that

I've turned many a job down because I didn't know how to do this, now I'll think twice before turning a job like that down. Glad my customer pushed me to figure it out!

We have the microstepper. Windows 95 Don't get me started on that
    Oops! I see now I made a freshman mistake and didn't see the 2nd page of this thread which already had your solution before my post.

See what a great machine your Xenetech is! I know how you must love it!
    Roy Brewer[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Epilog/Control Laser/Roland engravers/Xenetech