Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Critique Requested" Revival

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wasser View Post
    I've found that constructive criticism is essentially lacking in this board. Basically a person posts a picture which is then followed by umpteen "attaboys". The practice is so prevalent that I rarely look past the original post. Sometimes the photo limits seeing all the detail needed to really analyze the piece but not always. I would really like to see more coaching on the board.
    Al, I've looked at a lot of pieces and posts on this forum. I've given attaboys many times, when I really didn't care for the overall form. But I think there are times when criticism is warranted, and times when it isn't. Sometimes folks just need an encouragement to keep on turning, and if they like a piece enough to post a pic of it, who am I to say what is or isn't "right" about it.....
    If it's the poster's first piece of that type or style, I believe that it isn't proper to criticize it, when they haven't asked for a critique, and if it's a good try for the first piece, it deserves praise, of sorts, especially when we don't know the person doing the post, and when I can remember what my "firsts" (and some of my "lasts") looked like, and this piece is better.
    Also, some of us, like myself, don't feel qualified to do a good critique of someone's work.
    Coaching, I agree with, because it might help someone find out what they do or don't like about their own piece.
    Just my opinion...
    Last edited by Allen Neighbors; 09-29-2010 at 8:21 PM.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Allen Neighbors View Post
    Al, I've looked at a lot of pieces and posts on this forum. I've given attaboys many times, when I really didn't care for the overall form. But I think there are times when criticism is warranted, and times when it isn't. Sometimes folks just need an encouragement to keep on turning, and if they like a piece enough to post a pic of it, who am I to say what is or isn't "right" about it.....
    If it's the poster's first piece of that type or style, I believe that it isn't proper to criticize it, when they haven't asked for a critique, and if it's a good try for the first piece, it deserves praise, of sorts, especially when we don't know the person doing the post, and when I can remember what my "firsts" (and some of my "lasts") looked like, and this piece is better.
    Also, some of us, like myself, don't feel qualified to do a good critique of someone's work.
    Coaching, I agree with, because it might help someone find out what they do or don't like about their own piece.
    Just my opinion...
    There are 2 purposes that have helped me from this forum. Encouragement and coaching, and at times instruction on how to pull off something related to technique, etc.

Al and Allen both have good points, and both are needed. The secret to this forum being helpful is to know when one is needed and not the other.

Well said, both Allen and Al.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Talking I'm an "attaboy"....

I hang around here because I enjoy the humor and really am inspired by some of the work I see posted here and appreciate the turner sharing that with me, the newbie. I value the friendships I am developing and probably most appreciate the generosity and giving in this community. Amen, no higher purpose.
    I turn because it fascinates me throughout the whole process, not just the parts that I enjoy about any wood work which I have done both to pay the bills, and for my own enjoyment. I do not need anyone's validation to make this more meaningful to me. I do appreciate being able to share the joy I get without comparing my stuff to yours. I do appreciate the helpful advice and I DO read through the comments and will offer what I know about something if I think it might be helpful. That is the function of the community to me. To share.
    For those with the competitive button ON, I like the "critique" format and at some point would even ask for that, there are people here who mentor me that don't even know they are mentoring me..... a couple do...
    So personally I would not like to see this forum become bootcamp for those of us that are not interested in that style of learning. And, I would honor any format for critiquing that the mods/sysop choose.
    I thank you all for being here and sharing yourself and your work with me. I will continue to come back until I no longer get that connection.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Michael James View Post
    I hang around here because I enjoy the humor and really am inspired by some of the work I see posted here and appreciate the turner sharing that with me, the newbie. I value the friendships I am developing and probably most appreciate the generosity and giving in this community. Amen, no higher purpose.
    I turn because it fascinates me throughout the whole process, not just the parts that I enjoy about any wood work which I have done both to pay the bills, and for my own enjoyment. I do not need anyone's validation to make this more meaningful to me. I do appreciate being able to share the joy I get without comparing my stuff to yours. I do appreciate the helpful advice and I DO read through the comments and will offer what I know about something if I think it might be helpful. That is the function of the community to me. To share.
    For those with the competitive button ON, I like the "critique" format and at some point would even ask for that, there are people here who mentor me that don't even know they are mentoring me..... a couple do...
    So personally I would not like to see this forum become bootcamp for those of us that are not interested in that style of learning. And, I would honor any format for critiquing that the mods/sysop choose.
    I thank you all for being here and sharing yourself and your work with me. I will continue to come back until I no longer get that connection.

Micheal,

Well spoken! I hope you will always feel that connection!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!