Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Divided garage ?

Blog Entries

Divided garage ?

Has anyone every divided their two car garage taking one part for shop and one half for car..? Need to find way to keep one car in and still stop the spread of dust., Any tricks on doing this without removing two car garage door?

A buddy of mine did this. He rigged up a small pully system in the ceiling. He then took a heavy clear plastic, put grommets in it and rigged it using the pulleys so he could lift the plastic up out of the way of the garage door when not needed, then drop it down when he was working in the shop. It works really well. He essentially made French "blinds" using the pastic and rope/pully system.

How 'bout a dust cover for the car? You can buy car covers, custom sized for your car. They're intended to keep weather off the car when it is parked outside. But they could be used when the car is inside.

ditto on the cover.

my shop is an oversized two car garage that serves multiple purposes, including parking for one car.

The car we keep in there is just a mid size SUV, and I don't really care if it gets dusty. The next time I drive it, the wind will either blow the sawdust off, or the rain will wash it off.

If I were keeping something a little more exotic in the garage, I'd just do the car cover thing.
    fledgling weekend warrior

I park a car in half of a 2 car garage. I would never put a wall up, because that area becomes my outfeed area for the table saw and router table, and long boards being cut on the ras often extend into that area. While the big tools are all on the other side, that "garage" space is still important to the "shop".

Body shops often used heavy vinyl curtains to partition for priming, blasting, etc. Maybe look for a surplus version. Also, instead of having the curtain come from the ceiling as previously mentioned, you could also string a cable from end to end and slide the curtain like a shower curtain. Personally, I'd let the car get dusty until she caves on letting you build a separate shop...

Ryan

I live in a fairly harsh environment. Lots of cold and lots of snow. What I have learned is woodworking tools are made for the indoors, cars are made for the outdoors. Problem solved.

To me shop space far exceeds the need to park inside.
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

Garaging a car in the cold weather isn't for the car ... it's for the person who needs to drive it in the morning.

It be all right for you Alaskans to park outside ... the rest of us are a bunch of wimps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Hellmer View Post
    Body shops often used heavy vinyl curtains to partition for priming, blasting, etc. Maybe look for a surplus version. Also, instead of having the curtain come from the ceiling as previously mentioned, you could also string a cable from end to end and slide the curtain like a shower curtain. Personally, I'd let the car get dusty until she caves on letting you build a separate shop...

Ryan
    I didn't bother with dividing the garage. I just took it all over as I accumulated tools. Eventually I couldn't consolidate the tools enough to allow my wife to park inside. It took 10 years but finally I built my shop and gave her back the entire 2 car garage.

Of course now that I have filled up the shop I'm looking at the 2nd bay in her garage for wood storage.
    Wood'N'Scout

If you want to keep dust off a car buy a cover. My shop is a 3 car garage with one bay divided by a concrete block wall with one regular walk in door between the other 2 bays. (My shop is in the one bay room) I run a dust collector and air cleaner. My car still gets a covering of dust on it.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 09-29-2010 at 5:57 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

The best way is to collect the dust at the source, and/or use tools that make chips instead of dust. You'll never get all of it. When you are doing something really dusty, pull the car out of the garage, and wait for the dust to settle before you put it back in, or just be zen with the dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard McComas View Post
    I live in a fairly harsh environment. Lots of cold and lots of snow. What I have learned is woodworking tools are made for the indoors, cars are made for the outdoors. Problem solved.

To me shop space far exceeds the need to park inside.
    Just try telling my Wife that.

My shop is 1/2 of a 2 car garage. The car cover works best.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

What's a garage???!!! Cars are for outdoors. When you drive them they get dirty. No way will a car ever be in my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burgess View Post
    Has anyone every divided their two car garage?
    A garage divided against itself cannot stand.

A. Lincoln

Blog Entries
    I have seen pictures of automobiles in garages but, I thought they were photo shop'd. People really do that!?!

Double-plus-1 on the car cover for the interloper. The car in the one visiting. Why should you have to give up airspace just because the car doesn't like the dark?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler