Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Cabinet Saw

New Cabinet Saw

I will be purchasing a new cabinet saw. I am looking at The Powermatic 2000, the Delta Unisaw and the Sawstop (since I work alone most of the time). I would like some opinions on these saws. This will be the main saw in the shop and used extensively. Is the Sawstop on the same level as the other two. Sorry I know this topic is covered quite a bit but it is quicker than going through all the oldposts! Thanks in advance for the input.

I can only comment on the SawStop - as I have the ICS. It is a good saw… but you’ll have to decide if the added safety is worth the price.

I’ve never regretted my purchase and I’d make it again.

Some people don't care about the brake, to some other it's a very important featuer. Aside from the safety, Sawstops are very well designed and well built (the packaging, the manuals, etc are the best out there, customer service too if you ever need it).

I have not seen anybody who regrets purchasing it but have seen quite many who wish they had it (after an accident happened to them).

To **me** it's the obvious choice.

Paul, if you're looking at cabinet saws, I'd add the General 650, made in Canada.

That said, I would never buy another cabinet saw, however if I did the SS is the machine simply due to the safety improvement.

Every test indicates that it cuts wood as well as the other saws, however the safety feature sets it apart.

Regards, Rod.

Paul,
    I have the Sawstop ICS. I tried the new Unisaw and thought the SawStop was "more saw". The brake was the feature which helped persuade my wife. I too work alone and was upgrading from a contractor's table saw.

If safety is the issue and not cost go for the SawStop.

Namebrand is important go for the PM, Delta, or Jet

If Fit/Finish and cost are important you could save some money by looking at Steel City or General

And if cost is really the issue you can look at Grizzly

All of the major manufacturers will deliver a highly adjustable product with adequate hp, but it comes down to Money, Safety, and Name Recognition

My biggest concern with the SS was the accuracy and repeatability of the saw and the quality of the fence system.

Blog Entries
    Hi Paul,

I have a Unisaw with a 52" Biesmeyer thats about (7) years old. It's been fine. No problems or complaints.

If I was buying a saw today I think I would first look at a PM-2000. I've seen several very positve threads about them here at the creek plus I've seen one up close at my local Woodcraft store.

Good Luck with it.

PHM

I have a SS PCS. My last saw had a Biesmeyer fence. I find the SS fence to be on that level. Except for the SS having an extra adjustment and easily replaceable sides, the two are pretty much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post

If I was buying a saw today I think I would first look at a PM-2000. I've seen several very positve threads about them here at the creek plus I've seen one up close at my local Woodcraft store.

PHM
    And its on sale currently!
    But so is the Delta... but its still $600 or so more for comparative specs.
    For $2400 shipped... it is a very appealing deal to me. It would cost at least $1200 more to get that brake
    For me... the color is not bad either.

I have a SS ICS 5 hp. Yes, it is a little different than a PCS, but that saw is a lot of saw. The brake is a bonus. The fence great, not the best out there, but I use the fence tape and not my tape rule. Don't need to measure with a ruler anymore.
    IMO, the brake is the second best safety feature, the riving knife/blade guard being the best safety feature. All the new top line saws have good riving knife/guards. That is what I would look for. I hope to never use the brake.
    SS worth the money? I think so. It is definetely a lot of saw. And I personally know 3 people that have less than 10 fingers. That is what tossed me over the cost factor in the first place. Yes, I would buy another SS. Probably not an ICS, since that is more saw than I need.

Good luck in your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Allen View Post
    If safety is the issue and not cost go for the SawStop.

Namebrand is important go for the PM, Delta, or Jet

If Fit/Finish and cost are important you could save some money by looking at Steel City or General

And if cost is really the issue you can look at Grizzly

All of the major manufacturers will deliver a highly adjustable product with adequate hp, but it comes down to Money, Safety, and Name Recognition
    Hi Nathan, I'm guessing that General is going to be more expensive than all except for the SS machine. Fit/finish/performance is extremely high, as is cost since it's made in Canada.

Regards, Rod.

I will remind that the Saw Stop will only use 10" blades,and only an 8" dado set. I have some special blades like my 6" guitar fret blade that cuts a .020" kerf,and some others I've made up. The Saw Stop won't accept any blades that don't meet its requirements even when the brake is turned off.

We had to buy an 8" dado set when we bought a Saw Stop for my former toolmaker's shop in Colonial Williamsburg. For some reason,Forrest blades are 1/16" short of 10",so you have to re adjust the brake sensor when putting one on.

I am waiting for a less fussy saw to come on the market. Meanwhile,I'll stay with my 10" Dewalt/Clausing table saw I bought new in 1964. I'll probably never let it go anyway.

I gave up a General 350 & bought PCS SawStop. If you look at the price differance between the saws you mention they are closely the same. A new General & not the General International is the same price as the new SS. I've had two accidents on the table saw & still have all my fingers. I didn't another mishap so I went with the PCS. Great saw.

Before this turns into another SawStop lovefest, let me put another vote in for the PM2000. More saw for far less money than either the SS PCS or the new Unisaw, and I went over all three with a fine tooth comb.
    Just one man's opinion. You really can't go wrong with anyone of these three choices.
    Last edited by Joe Leigh; 09-29-2010 at 12:48 PM.