Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Burl Fairy visited again!

The Burl Fairy visited again!

Just got another box (well, actually three of them!) from Mike Smith. The four on the left are Big Leaf Maple, Claro blocks in the rear, and the two on the right are HUGE Buckeye burls! Don't look like they are going to have much blue, but very nice burl.

Now, this is my kind of wood! You guys on the West Coast have all the good stuff, but nice to see some of it make its way east!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (91.8 KB, 164 views)

Nice gloat, John. Yeah, we have a lot of good wood and you are welcome to as much as you need.

Exclamation intervention time

John, you have a serious hoarding addiction. As your friiend I suggest get rid of all of the wood you have, to your friends of course, and seek rehab ASAP. Prognosis is poor in your case, but we can hope!

4. It will be interesting what treasures you find hidden inside those burls, John.

Are they all good and dry? The BLM you have used in the past has really had some terrific grain in them. You can't go wrong with Claro Walnut, and Buckeye burl has some really unique and interesting figure in the ones I have seen pictures of.

Do you have something cooking on the back burner of your mind that you just have to serve up, or are these ones that will require a new recipe?

Looking forward to the "unveiling!"
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger, I am realizing more and more what I enjoy doing, and much of what I like involves burls, or dyed maple, or Claro/figured walnut. Ambrosia maple is special, too. Much of the rest just doesn't interest me much. Trouble is - I have a bunch of other stuff!! I will soon be liquidating much of it in phases, getting my inventory down to the stuff I like.

No definitive plans for this bunch yet, but I do have something I want to do with the curly maple I posted.

Michael, I do recognize my very slight addiction, but I haven't yet decided it is serious enough to warrant further action. Besides, I can quit any time I want!!!

6. Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Roger, I am realizing more and more what I enjoy doing, and much of what I like involves burls, or dyed maple, or Claro/figured walnut. Ambrosia maple is special, too. Much of the rest just doesn't interest me much. Trouble is - I have a bunch of other stuff!! I will soon be liquidating much of it in phases, getting my inventory down to the stuff I like.

No definitive plans for this bunch yet, but I do have something I want to do with the curly maple I posted.

Michael, I do recognize my very slight addiction, but I haven't yet decided it is serious enough to warrant further action. Besides, I can quit any time I want!!!
    Alright now, I predict there will be a run on wood dye, or rit dye, or some kind of dye in the near future, and we will be seeing a plethora of rainbow colored figured maple hollow forms, and only the Good Lord knows what else!

You could not possibly dye all that maple and not create a shortage!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Burl fairy ?!?!?!?

That was the gloat goblin! Nice of him to leave it on your steps though, as I'm sure you'll do it proper justice.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 10-01-2010 at 3:00 PM.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

John, have you made the connection yet that if you keep sending people money, they will keep sending you burls?

Looking forward to the finished product!

Robert.....it's John's purchases that keep the supply short and the price high!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

wow John - you are doing very well indeed in the wood acquisition realm

Say - in case you still have room... I got another pallet in Not as much burl, but this one is nearly all english and french walnut and much of it has fiddleback class grain - I'll spin a few pieces in the next week and show ya.

Mike

Wow! Some more great looking wood! Congrats!

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this bunch!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

congratulations, only so much time, you might as well only turn what you like, i do not see any cherry burl , John

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Great burls! I like turning, and burl too, but I am glad that I haven't gotten to the point where I am considering liquidating stuff I have had stickered for more than 20 years. That is almost sad!

Congrats John. That should make some nice turnings.

Boy sure am glad I got my Claro Walnut order in before John did!!!!
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    congratulations, only so much time, you might as well only turn what you like, i do not see any cherry burl , John
    Charlie, only because Mike Smith does not have any at the moment! All of these burls are bone dry and ready to finish turn - which is what I like.

I am going to try to make some local connections for fresh cut cherry burls. There is a lot of it around, and I should be able to find some once I get serious about looking. I understand it cracks badly - even sealed.