Thread: Good wood sources in Seattle area?

Good wood sources in Seattle area?

I know there are a number of woodworkers in the Puget Sound area on this site. I'm looking for good/reasonably priced wood sources in the area, particularly in the northern part of Seattle on up to Everett or thereabouts. I keep hearing about "small mills" which sell things like cherry at good prices and with good selection. Not sure how common hardwood mills are in the region, with its plethora of conifers, but if anyone can pass on some sources, I sure would appreciate it. So far, the best source I've found is Compton, way down south of Seattle on 1st Ave South, about a 60 mile round trip for me, with the worst part being, they close at 5! Crosscut in the same area isn't toooo bad, though I prefer Compton's. Any suggestions appreciated!

At the moment I'm looking for 8/4 material, probably cherry, a TRUE 2" thick, which seems to be especially hard to find.

TIA

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Mitchell; 09-29-2010 at 8:15 PM.

Try Targo woods in Bellingham, if you don't mind driving that far:
    http://www.targowoods.com/

Call Neil Levinson Inc.-Kirkland, Washington, 425-828-3833. He is a broker for anything wood or cabinet materials related. Not sure about his prices but he has ALWAYS been able to get anything I wanted.

Dar Lounsbury

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah Bartlett View Post
    Try Targo woods in Bellingham, if you don't mind driving that far:
    http://www.targowoods.com/
    +1 on this one. Obie is a great guy. I've been buying wood from him for decades. It would be a less difficult drive than going to South Seattle. His shop is at the harbor in Bellingham (I just bought some stuff from him yesterday). I think he also sells online.

I've used the Hardwood Supply in Redmond (right near Willows Run golf course). Nice guys there.

http://www.hardwoodssupply.com/

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check 'em out. I think Ii did go to Hardwood Supply, but they were closed. I wish more of these places were open in the evening.

Although still a long trip for you, Edensaw in Port Townsend has my vote. I got 8/4 cherry there a few months back.

Kris - Thanks for the reply. So far, the best source I've found in the area is Compton's. Yesterday I made the 60 mile trip & bought a very nice piece of 8/4 Honduras Mahogany, 9.33 BFT for ~$99, including tax.

I guess maybe this IS the best & closest source with any real selection & reasonably decent pricing.

My 1st experience with Mahogany. Working it right now... and LOVING IT!!!
    Last edited by Dan Mitchell; 10-02-2010 at 10:23 PM.

You could check with Martin Hardware in Everett. They get in some good sized boards all the time.

Dan, you'd have to take the ferry but Edensaw in Port Townsend is a fantastic wood supplier.

http://edensaw.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Bueling View Post
    You could check with Martin Hardware in Everett. They get in some good sized boards all the time.
    Martin has a decent selection and they seem like nice people, but Crosscut has better prices and a much better selection. I live in the Everett area and drive to Crosscut when I need more than one board.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    Martin has a decent selection and they seem like nice people, but Crosscut has better prices and a much better selection. I live in the Everett area and drive to Crosscut when I need more than one board.
    Dave - I've been to Crosscut, bought a bunch of walnut there about a year ago, but I prefer Compton, which is right in that same area. Have you ever tried Compton?

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Bueling View Post
    Howard - I called them for this recent project, but they didn't have any Hondurus Mahogany. I was also considering Cherry, but their price for it was about 2 bucks/BFT higher than Compton had for the Hondurus Mahogany. It is pretty close though, so I will check them out eventually.