Thread: Never though I would be glad to stop turning for the day.

Never though I would be glad to stop turning for the day.

I have made angles until I think I can now make them with my eyes closed! Dang that Nick Cook and his article anyway. Never let your wife page through your turning magazines. All together I made about 20 I think and out of those my wife pulled back 3 that she decided she could not part with.

The first one to the left is made from Ambrosia Quilted Maple and Brazilian Cherry, the middle one is Bloodwood and Narra and the one on the right is Black Walnut with Butternut. I played around with the shapes and sizes just a bit to see what I liked the best. I sure hope she don’t make me turn another angle for awhile!

This is my favorite thing this weekend. I picked up a box of Maple Burl. It is cut sections right off of the burl and then kiln dried. Most of it still has the bark on it so you know what I am going to try! Anyhow this stuff is fairly hard to turn as it is soft maple and tears and shows tool marks very easily. I made a simple form box just to show off the figure of the wood.

Let me know what you think!

Ken, you cannot go wrong keeping the LOYL happy. Making angels is probably a good thing also.

The box is beautiful. I really have to try to make some similar boxes. How do you hollow them? How about some pictures with the lid off showing how it fits and what the inside looks like.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

A word of advice, take your mags to work and leave them there. That's what I do. LOML collects angels, what do you think she would say if she saw that one. She would go .... well, never mind. I think you did a great job on yours. Nice use of differant colors.
    And if you call that a "simple" form box, I can't wait to see what you call a difficult one
    beautiful work on all of them, What finish did you use? I'm a newbie at this kind of stuff and I'm curious. Did you finish on the lathe?
    Nice pictures too. boy, you're a man of many talents

Ken,
    Three words Very Nice Turnings!!!
    What you call a "simple form box" I wish I could turn something as nice as that.
    Happy Holidays,
    Dave

Michael, the hollowing method depends a lot on the wood I am using. Since this wood was a burl I drilled a depth hole with a ½” bit and then used the Kelton mini hollower with the straightest tip. I stopped taking pictures of the insides awhile back as people on another forum I post on thought it was a bit much. If it would be of any help or entertainment for you I did three separate pictorials on my box making by request. The lids are mostly fitted using a suction fit method.

http://www.theturnersshop.com/turning/pinebox/pinebox.html

http://www.theturnersshop.com/turning/boxinlay/boxinlay.html

http://www.theturnersshop.com/turning/boxtutor2/boxtutor1.html

Pat, I finished mostly everything completely on the lathe. I use pretty much the same process and only deviation is the finial step depending on the intended use of the object I make. If you’re interested here is how I finish.

http://www.theturnersshop.com/turnin...inishing1.html

In none of these write-ups am I saying that the way I do things is the only way or even the right way to things it is just my way and subject to change. I just like to share what I have learned.

Nice work, I enjoyed looking at it.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"