Thread: A couple claro walnut duck calls

A couple claro walnut duck calls

Here's two duck calls that I made in the last couple days. Both are claro walnut. The first one has two accent bands of inlaid brass key machine shavings, the second has four. Both are finished with about 15 coats of CA, wet sanded and buffed. I made the second one with a delrin toneboard (delrin rod glued about 1-1/2" into the wood insert), which sounds a lot crisper and better than the walnut toneboard.

The insert on the first one is my preferred design, and doesn't incorporate a lanyard groove. The shape swoops somewhat, which effectively allows the lanyard loop to retain the insert. Using the delrin rod on the 2nd one prevents me from using the swoop and forces me to cut a shallow lanyard groove. I could make the insert thicker/wider but it would look squirrely. On future calls I may turn the 5/8" rod down to 7/16" at the part that inserts into the wood to allow me to do my preferred insert shape without exposing the delrin on the outside of the call.

Critiques and comments welcome!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Look incredible as always!

And I know they sound better then they look!

Aaron those look fantastic. Love the inlay. Do you do anything to the inside of the body of the call? (The tube part) Does that get finished with anything or is left natural? Just wondering if that made any difference the sound or handling of the call. Again nice work.

John

Beautiful, Aaron!! Against that walnut, wonder what a black epoxy ring, with a little less density with the brass would look like? If you try it, make sure to seal the recess as the black will bleed into the wood.

Very nice work! Beautiful woods! The brass shavings does create a different look and highlights the walnut!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Beautiful work. I think the inlay bands are a nice touch, but I agree with John that I'd like to see what a bit more contrast would do to the overall look.

John K and David, I'll give that a try. I like the idea of a black accent. Any ideas or sources for black epoxy???

John D, I apply CA on the inside about 1/4" into both ends of the barrel. Since it'll be in a wet environment the wood HAS to be sealed, so the remainder of the inside is coated liberally with Velvit oil. It really doesn't make a difference with the sound but leaving the wood unfinished pretty much guarantees problems with the call because a lot of saliva gets into them when using them, not to mention they get wet while hunting.

Aaron, I use System Three for rings, etc., but I think it will be too thin for what you are doing and it takes 16-24 hours to set. The rings on the calls won't take much epoxy, so I think I would use 5 minute stuff.

Use some black tinting pigment from the paint store to tint it. They can give/sell you just a very small amount - 1/2 oz. or so - it won't take but just very little to tint the epoxy - about a large matchhead size dollop should do it. I use the corner of a small spatula.

Mix the brass in before you put in the tint, or you won't be able to see how dense you have it in the epoxy! I know of what I speak!

Beautiful calls out of some beautiful walnut.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

really like the 2nd call ..way to go

Nice calls. The walnut looks good.