Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dyed wormy maple

dyed wormy maple

Here's a little experiment I tried with a 'freebie' piece of maple I got from Isaac Rapelje a few months ago. I used food coloring for the dye 'cause that's what I had... Tried to emphasize the quilt/curl with an accent color. It's about 7 inches across and a little less than 3 tall. Finished with food coloring, BLO, shellac, and then wipe-on gloss poly. I think it has an aquatic feel. As always, comments and criticism welcome!
    wormy-dyed-maple-2.jpg

wormy-dyed-maple-1.jpg

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Lovely aquamarine gem!

Beautiful form, and finish looks great, David! Did you streak the green after the blue, or vice-versa?
    I've been enjoying some little dying experiments with food coloring, too.
    Pretty cool! When you look at it close, it looks sort of like something off of a reef!
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Nice form and a great combination of colors! Really like the aquatic effect!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Neighbors View Post
    Beautiful form, and finish looks great, David! Did you streak the green after the blue, or vice-versa?
    I've been enjoying some little dying experiments with food coloring, too.
    Pretty cool! When you look at it close, it looks sort of like something off of a reef!
    Actually, I dyed the whole thing blue then sanded it back a bit. The green is actually yellow applied over the areas where the figure was evident. The old blue and yellow make green trick!

That's really wild. Like the worm holes. Like the shape. Like the colors. Like the figure in the wood. So that's pretty much it.
    David DeCristoforo

David, that is an extremely interesting piece!! I love the effect you have achieved with the food coloring, and the worm holes are a perfect "texture" for that combination. Great piece!

8. David,

That is a nice form, and the coloring is very unique. You do nice work! I am surprised that you don't have a pearl on it somewhere

All good humor [certainly attempted ] aside, that is a nice work. I have not done but one piece of wood that had worm holes, and it was only a couple of them, so I turned them away, in my novice days, because I thought they were a defect, and shouldn't be left on the turning. Boy, was I wrong, because everyone on this forum seems to celebrate them and make them the prominent feature almost!

Turn some more and color them red, green, yellow, orange and purple, then display your rainbow collection..........you will be a great hit!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Nice form David. You did very well with the color. Looks great.

That is a nice looking piece David.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

The holes give it a porous coral look. Blues and greens are hard to beat on figured maple

That's a cool looking, really neat looking! Question on the food coloring, do you or anyone know how well that does over time as far as fading?

I think that's cooler than anything!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Vaughan View Post
    That's a cool looking, really neat looking! Question on the food coloring, do you or anyone know how well that does over time as far as fading?
    My understanding is that it does fade, but I don't know how much or how fast. I've done a few pens that are over a year out from finishing, and they look great. Maybe somebody else will have more experience with it.

That is a very distinctive piece! I hope the color doesn't fade too badly over time. Great shape and wood but the color sets it apart.