Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How do you get rid of Raccoons

In urban environments, at this time of the year, it is awful difficult to hear a .22 short....

Sounds like you solved the issue with less violent methods. Hope they don't find their way back.

A few good coon hounds will take care of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    Ya.. Until they have a argument with one of the skunks, and run back into your house

Nothing in the trap for 4 nights now
    How true? I have a neighbor whose dog has been sprayed three or four times. Coon hounds are normally smarter than that. Sounds like a job for Billy The Exterminator.
    Gary

Got another darn skunk in the trap right now.. Noticed it late this afternoon.. I will wait until about 6pm tomorrow to drag him to the back of the yard and turn it loose.. This is a big one.. He's gonna be P.Oed and hungry by that time.. Hopefully he will remember the bad experience and not come back
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Haven't had a raccoon in the trap for quite a while now, but I'm now up to 6 skunks.. The last one was a little one, and went into the trap out of shear curiosity. There was no bait in it!
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

my coon story

I had the dirty little bas--rds in the walls of shop and they completely wrecked all of the insulation. I declared WAR. I only found 2 things that worked, #1, I poured bleach down walls from the attic when I thought they were down there. Neighbors cat came out at 90 mph, ain’t seem him recently either. My cat food lasts a lot longer when I just feed MY cat, not the neighbors or those d-mn coon. The coon moved out walls into the hay. Still eating all of my cat food. One day while feeding the horses the big old mama coon come out and stands up on her back feet and starts hissing at me. Can you believe the nerve of this animal, hissing at me in MY OWN BARN!!!! I've had enough, I grabbed a garden rake and with 1 mighty swing I sent it flying across the barn. I thought she was dead, I felt no remorse, not one little bit. I finally calmed down and decided to dispose of nasty little critter. I picked her up was carrying it out side when she decided to quit playing possum. Scared the livin sh-t out me. Without thinking I put my hands around the coons neck and squeezed until there was no doubt. After my heart rate went back to normal I put the coon in burning barrel and cremated her. Damn that was exhausting. I went back to the barn to turn out the lights and lock up shop only to see 3 more of the dirty little bas-urds running across the floor.
    I could not win, so I went to the house and went on ebay and ordered 2 coon traps for under 30 bucks. I had all ofthe rodents caught in 2 days. What a great invention!!!! Now everybody thinks it’s funny to give me stuffed coons for my birthday. Oh well, no coon in the barn now.
    Last edited by Duff Bement; 11-08-2010 at 6:01 PM.
    Duff

Rember: Experience is what you get just after needed it.

Traps are nice to get them from out under the house/shop but I'm partial to the more permanent methods of disposal once they're caught....but can understand the limitations that neighbors provide, thankfully I don't have to worry about that! I grew up shooting and for my 8th grade graduation I got my own .22 and of course immediately loaded it up and went to sight it in. While walking back from sighting it in I was walking by one of our open ended equpiment sheds and saw something move in the rafter, looked up and walking on the rafter was a mama coon and 4 little ones. Dad was pretty pleased after I had mama plus 3 to show for that round of "sighting in"

Can't shoot anything where I live, not like 40 years ago! I bought a .17HMR but I leave it at my daughters farm so my son-in-law can keep the area clear of Raccoons/Groundhogs/Porcupines/Skunks and Yotes.. I have a number of .22s, but that .17 is an amazing little cartridge. A 20 gr. bullet zipping along at 2550 fps. hits with 289 ftp of energy. You can actually see the splash when it hits..

I agree on the .17HMR comments, bought one and now its what I generally grab before the 10/22 for your standard run of the mill critters and varmits around the place. Even though the ammo is about 5 times the cost its an amazing round.....one of these days I'll get a scope on my 17 and the Ruger might go into a case and reserved for plinking....

My inlaws had raccoons in their fireplace (came down the chimney to the basement fireplace). The exterminator, put the live traps on the roof and put a radio playing hard rock music in the fireplace to drive them out. They had a huge cleanup job from the mess the coons left behind.

The contractor who built my workshop, had one in his attic, until in the middle of one night, it fell through the ceiling and into his bedroom closet.. He got the wife and kids out of the house, and shot it. It could have been worse i suppose.. Imagine if the thing fell through the ceiling onto your bed in the middle of the night.

one of these days I'll get a scope on my 17 and the Ruger might go into a case and reserved for plinking....
    I put a Cheap 3-9 40mm Tasco scope on it and it's a tack driver out to 100 yards, and a bit beyond. The ammo is expensive, up here it's about $17.00 for a box of 50, but you tend to make every shot count.. For 'plinking' I still have a Nylon 66 (black and chrome Apache) , a Marlin bolt action repeater, a cooey single shot bolt(my first gun bought 50 years ago) and a new version Henry Survival rifle all in .22, but the .17 is a cheap Mossberg and now my absolute favorite, simply because of the cartridge.. A Truly amazing little rimfire.. I also just bought one of those new .50 T/C Impact BP front stuffers, it's supposed to be here from Cabala's on the 16th.. The BP deer hunt starts on the 29th. Lookin for freezer meat !
    Last edited by Bill Cunningham; 11-11-2010 at 11:23 PM.