Thread: SMC 2010 Fall Turning Contest - Hollow Forms

SMC 2010 Fall Turning Contest - Hollow Forms

These are the hollow form entries for the SMC 2010 Fall Turning Contest.

SMC Fall Turning Contest-Hollow Forms-Keith Burns

This is from a dry spalted birch log and turned with the pith in the center. Fortunately there was no splits. Anyway it was a little punky and required a little extra effort. Measures 7" diameter x 10-1/8" to the top of the blackwood finial. Finished with 2 coats of antique oil and didn't like the looks so I re-sanded it starting with 240 thru 600 grit and then buffed. Gave it an even finish and soft shine. I too appreciate the companies who donated the prizes for this contest.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

SMC Fall Turning Contest 2010 (Hollow Forms) – Tim Rinehart

Nearly 9 months or so ago, I got a large Norfolk Island Pine log. I didn't know that it had a relatively short shelf life, according to several people I talked to, with regards to quite a bit of spalting after being cut. I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of spalting in this piece. I'm sure had I waited much longer, it would have been too late.

Turned and hollowed, it sat in my shop for a couple weeks, then hand sanded to 800 grit, sealed and coated with 3 coats of rattle can (Watco) satin lacquer. No further buffing following final coat. Approximately 10" diameter and 9" tall.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

SMC Fall Turning Contest 2010 Hollow Form- David Keller

American Elm Burl with African Blackwood

12.5" tall and 5.5" wide

The natural voids were filled epoxy and blackwood dust. The piece was finished with shellac and antique oil then lightly buffed for a satin finish.
    elm-burl-HF-1.jpgelm-burl-HF-2.jpgelm-burl-HF-3.jpgelm-burl-HF-4.jpg

SMC 2010 Fall Turning Contest-Hollow Forms-Richard Madden

Well, here's my entry. Hickory, measures 8" x 4", turned thin and finished with BLO. Beall buffed, Renaissance wax.
    Many thanks to all the sponsers. Very much appreciated!!

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

011.jpg

026.jpg
    Last edited by Richard Madden; 10-09-2010 at 10:17 PM.

SMC Fall Turning Contest-Hollow Forms-Alan Trout

This is my latest piece that I finished yesterday. It is a piece of wormy very twisted piece of mesquite with blue and purple resin infused into the negative space. It is about 10+ inches tall and about 7 inches in diameter. It is about 1/8" thick except at the very bottom which I left a bit thicker for ballast and balance on the small foot. The finish is a catalyzed varnish sanded and buffed to a high gloss.

I have 2 different sets of pictures. One set is with it sanded to a soft luster. I took these picture so you could see the details and colors better because the high gloss is so hard for me to photograph with a point and shoot camera and I am sure my lighting techniques are not the best. The other set is with the piece buffed and finished with the high gloss to help show the depth.

I really appreciate our generous sponsors and the work that John Keeton has put in putting this together.

Thanks,

Alan Trout

SMC 2010 Fall Turning Contest - Hollow Forms Curt Fuller

This Russian Olive Burl, Natural Edge Hollowform is 7.25" wide, 6.5" tall, about 5/16" walls, with a little extra ballast in the bottom. The wood was very dry and had a few cracks so I filled them with glue and sanding dust. The finish is rattle can lacquer.

SMC Fall Turning Contest 2010 Hollow Form George Guadiane

This hollow form is made from an unusual piece of cherry burl.
    The piece is 4 7/8 inches in diameter by 5 1/4 inches high.
    Oil sanded to 1200 and burnished/buffed with microcrystaline wax.
    JUST finished (I'll sign it soon.
    Change One Thing

SMC fall turning contest-hollow forms-Bill Bolen

Just about the last of the Spalted Walnut material I've had stashed. This HF is 11X8 and finished with 9 coats of gloss poly, wet sanded between coats and buffed. The faux collar has a feature ring cut in with a bit of texturing to add interest. Turned off center to the pith. One side is nearly all dark brown while the reverse side is all white sapwood with some spalting present.

SMC Fall Turning Contest – Hollow Forms – Baxter Smith

With a couple wet heavy snows last winter, any trees with leaves or needles took a beating in this area. The holly was particularly hard hit. Late last spring, a friend mentioned he had a holly snapped off in the woods behind his house and that it had some funny bumps all over it. I cut it up but didn’t have time to turn, so it spent the summer in my woodshed. That gave the stain more of a chance to spread and darken. The pedestal and finial is from some holly I cut at least 10 years ago and thought I would someday like to turn. Guess that someday has arrived.

Holly on Holly
    7 ¾ wide x 8 high
    5 coats of AO

SMC Fall Turning Contest 2010 (hollow form)-Jay MacDougall

Although I've only recently become interested in turning, it seems to be the only thing I want to do now. This hollow form is just a piece of poplar, approximate dimensions are 4" x 8" with a wall thickness of about 1/4". The collar is claro walnut burl. Inspired by David Marks it was then gilded in copper and composition gold leaf. Followed by a patina done with sulfurated potash. Finish is 8 coats of Deft lacquer.

12. SMC Fall Turning Contest 2010 (Hollow) – "George Van Wormer"

Happy HOLLOW-een!! I made this hollow form out of White Gum and included a special October expression in the spirit of Halloween! The dimensions are 10.5 x 8.5. Enjoy!
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 10-15-2010 at 12:52 PM. Reason: added dimensions

SMC Fall Turning Contest 2010 (Hollow Form)- Paul Senn

Blue Vessel

This piece is about 8.5" high overall with the vessel measuring approx. 6.5" high and about 4" at its widest point, narrowing to a little over 3.5" at the top. It was a piece of quilted maple that I have had for a couple of years. I was saving it until I was confident in my ability to turn it properly. I have only turned one closed form with this being my 2nd piece using my hollowing tools. The wall thickness is a shade over 1/8" with the bottom just slightly thicker. I used Trans Tint dye with a gloss lacquer finish on the exterior. The interior is gilded with 23K gold leaf with a gloss lacquer top coat. The legs are ebony with a satin lacquer finish. The pins are brass. This piece was a challenge with many firsts for me, hollowing, dye, getting the leaf in to the interior and locating the pins all made me loose a little more of my quickly disappearing hair. (not to mention a deadline)
    I am still working on my photo skills. Thanks for looking.