Thread: Numbered bowls...misleading

Numbered bowls...misleading

So, how do you number your bowls? Is it as they are completed, or as you had turned them (as in green bowls that may have been sitting around for 6 months)?

I was thinking about this because I turned a green bowl a week ago, but it'll sit for quite some time before it is finished. If I turn other bowls (not green) they'll be finished way before this one. I would think that by numbering your bowls, you are in essence giving a timeline and showing your progression as a turner. Thus, showing how your skills improve. But, with green bowls being turned, this kinda screws that whole thing up. My form, shape, and skill set (going from basic to more fancy) might change dramatically in 6 months, yet the bowl I just turned is limited in what it can "become" with its final turn.

So, what say you? On what basis do you "number" your bowls/turnings?
    I drink, therefore I am.

I just date them as of completion. I don't care much about the exact order - 20 years from now, knowing it was done in 2010 will be close enough to remind me where I was in my turning progression.

Mike, there was a thread sometime ago on signing/dating turnings. The guys that had been at it for awhile seemed to think numbering bowls was not a good idea. If the number was low, it could indicate lack of experience by the turner. If the number was high, it looked like a production turner. Catch 22.

I numbered mine initially, but have stopped doing that and merely date them with the year as Sean does. I do keep digital images in numbered folders, however, so I know the order of completion.

I date them once completed - the whole numbering thing can get confusing/complicated in short order.

I learned the hard way - when roughing - if you stick to the classic forms, you will be safe when it comes time to finish turn them. Get real creative when roughing - and a year later you'll wonder what in the heck you were thinking!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I agree with Steve and John. I don't number my bowls. I just date them the day I finished them. I have some 30 bowls or so roughed and drying. The numbering thing gets to confusing to me.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

When I rough turn a bowl I put the date on it. If it's wet it'll normally be dry in 6 months. If it's semi dry I put a date on it that I think it will be dry.

I don't date pieces that are to be sold. What for? I do date pieces that are given as gifts. I sign my name and put on the species of wood. Customers always want to know that.

Some turners have a system of numbering on every piece. Geez, If I started with #1, after all these years I'd be way up in the thousands. I do have bowl number 1. Turned it in 1936 at age 15. I gave it to my mother, then forgot about it. My sister died recently and she had it. I have looked it over and hey, it ain't bad.

Wally
    Last edited by Wally Dickerman; 10-01-2010 at 1:21 PM.

No numbering here either, just date completed.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Good to know, guys. Thought everyone was supporting the "numbering your bowls" idea. When I get tired of it, I'll stop...
    I drink, therefore I am.

I have a branding Iron I got from Rockler. It says "Handcrafted By", then under that is my name and under that is the year completed. I use it for any woodworking project whether flat work or turning (provided there's enough room to burn it into the piece).

I number my work as it is completed. Now, I will throw a number/letter in magic marker on a rough-out if it is going in my fridge-kiln. I'll weigh it first and that way I can keep track of its drying progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally Dickerman View Post
    When I rough turn a bowl I put the date on it. .....

I don't date pieces that are to be sold. ...

If I started with #1, after all these years I'd be way up in the thousands.
    Ditto to those points, and in my case, at least in excess of a thousand.

Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...

"The quality goes in, before the name goes on.."... How many of you can remember that ad?
    Well, it's mine now. When the bottom is finished, I burn in the wood type, julian date, and my brand.
    The julian date can be figured out, but it's not blatant, and some folks just don't want an old bowl... Well... at least unless it's really old - antique.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.