Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Identify This Plane

Help Identify This Plane

I found this when I was cleaning out my shop. Don't know anything about it and was wondering if it was worth cleaning up and trying to use. Anybody know what it is. Looks to me and my untrained eye like an old Stanley 60 block plane. Any help?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Looks Like a version of the Stanley 9-3/4.

I don't know what type or if other makers made copies of the plane...
    http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan2.htm

edit. the lateral adjuster makes me think it is not a stanley, but I could easiley be wrong.
    Last edited by Andrew Gibson; 10-01-2010 at 1:48 PM.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

That's a Sargent block plane. I've never seen the rear handle on one of those though. Google Bob Kaune and Sargent plane. Could be a #307 or #308 with a Stanley rear knob add on.

Blog Entries
    Clean it up, sharpen the blade and if it works, it was worth it.

If you do not like it, I am sure there are people who would try to make it work. I think those with the ball on the end get the collectors drooling on their keyboards.

What is that they say about a collector and their money?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks for the info. I am new to woodworking. Although I want to learn to use planes I think I need to start with a finely tuned Veritas or LN so that I have a feel for the way planes are supposed to behave. I do not think restoring a plane is something I want to do right now. Any idea how much I can sell one of these for???

Ahhh the collectors. They suck when they want a tool that you want, but they're great when they want a tool that you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

What is that they say about a collector and their money?

jtk

Go to the big auction site and put this item # in the search box; 250426385558 This will give you an idea as to what it's value MAY be to a collector. If you clean it, do some research as to cleaning vintage planes. You want to be very careful NOT TO DECREASE it's value.
    Last edited by Chris Vandiver; 10-01-2010 at 2:46 PM.

Mitchell

Try this website...lots of planes to peruse. You might not find your plane, but you will surely see many many others.... http://www.supertool.com/index.htm

Marv

Catchyalater,
    Marv

"I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better."

~Maya Angelou~

Wow. Thanks for the link. OK. I am open to offers. HA.

edit. the lateral adjuster makes me think it is not a stanley, but I could easiley be wrong.

I think you are right. Looked at that auction, and there is no lateral at all.

Any chance of some more pictures of the plane, both assembled and dissassembled?

Also, clean up the sides of the plane. My stanley 9 1/4 is marked on the side, and nowhere else.
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

OK. I took the chip breaker off and found these number on the bottom. 307 and 306. That leads me to believe that it is definately a Sargent.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I found the Sargent name on the blade. Cooooool.

ebay item of your plane, without the rear knob.
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

Well the 306 was 6 inches long and the 307 - 7 inches long as were the 316/317.
    The rear handle only appeared on the 316 and 317, but these may have used the 306 /307 lever cap.
    If it is indeed a 316/317 then David Heckel's guide suggests that it has a collector's value of $250 -$500.
    I have found his pricing to be a bit optimistic on some models and below market on others.
    If you want to sell it , then don't clean it much at all. Collectors love that old patina.
    Cheers
    MC

i have found 306 307 lever caps on a lot of different sargent planes as well as some craftsman planes that were made by sargent. there is a 307 lever cap on my #507 though i don;t know if it belongs there. probably.

That's a nice plane and it looks like it's pretty late in the game- i think the earlier sargent tailed block planes had a shell-type lever cap.

there's the possibility that the tail is older and was retrofitted to a newer plane. I don;t know sargent that well.

nice plane.