Thread: I need a router recommendation please

I need a router recommendation please

I bought a Dovetail Jig (Thank you Harry) and now I need to get a router. My current Craftsman 2 hp router (that does not have a model number on it dangit) has a ¼ inch collet on it. I need an inexpensive router that has a ½ inch collet and will accept the guide bushing for the Leigh jig.

Do any of yall have a recommendation.
    <-------- Knows nothing of WoodWorking. Wants to know everything about WoodWorking.

Router Rec

You can always buy 2nd hand thru CL or similar and sometimes get very, VERY good deals!

Craftsman have comparatively inexpensive tools. You could simply buy one of theirs. With Craftsman, you get a big bang for the buck.

For less mony, buy a Black & Decker.

If you're blind to brand names, purchase the 2-1/2 hp Harbor Frieght model for under $90.00... and save even more with their 20% Off Coupon!

Good luck in your hunt and don't forget to post back & tell us what you got!

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carreiro View Post
    You can always buy 2nd hand thru CL or similar and sometimes get very, VERY good deals!

Craftsman have comparatively inexpensive tools. You could simply buy one of theirs. With Craftsman, you get a big bang for the buck.

For less mony, buy a Black & Decker.

If you're blind to brand names, purchase the 2-1/2 hp Harbor Frieght model for under $90.00... and save even more with their 20% Off Coupon!

Good luck in your hunt and don't forget to post back & tell us what you got!

Bob
    I am going to do a Craigslist search right now. I will let you know what I get.

I was just pointed to a $79 router at Sears that fits the bill I think

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...u=00917542000P

Yall think this will do?
    <-------- Knows nothing of WoodWorking. Wants to know everything about WoodWorking.

Blog Entries
    The C-mans that look like Bosch routers have taken a little heat in having more vibration and the fit and finish being a bit rough. They're also half the price of their Bosch cousins to I wouldn't shy away from them given your price range. I tend to use a smaller router for jig work as I get less fatigue and the weight of the router doesn't try to push the jig around as opposed to be supported by it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The Porter Cable 690 or the Milwaukee 5615 are both good routers. With the PC I prefer the D-handle, but the body grip that Milwaukee has is the "bees knees".

Darn Geico commercial; I don't even know what that means.

Thank Yall both. I will look at those models as well. The model that I posted above, do yall know if it will accept the guide bushing? I dont even know how that mounts up?

Your might also want to check out a few local pawn shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph D'Orazio View Post

I use a pair of those for the DT jig. They accept PC guide bushings. Really hard to beat for the price. If you pick one up, just be sure to check the tension on the locking clamp before use. It's easily adjustable. Both mine, purchased at different times, were loose from the factory.
    - Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph D'Orazio View Post
    I am going to do a Craigslist search right now. I will let you know what I get.

Yall think this will do?
    I'm pretty sure i have that one. I also have the combo kit c-man just like it. They work just fine. They will accept the bushing, which attaches to the baseplate.

To me, the gold standard is the Porter-Cable 690. The D-Handle is really handy. Porter Cable clearly handles their own guide bushings.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

There are lots of good choices, but it's always a matter of preference. I have a Hitachi M12VC for dovetail jigs because it's lighter and quieter....I prefer it over the Bosch 1617 and PC690.

Tyler Tool has it on sale for ~ $100 shipped with "tt100110" code.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I went and bought the Craftsman 17542 for $80 at Sears. I can tell that it would be easy to own a whole bunch of routers huh? I am going to read the instructions tonight. I had not read yalls responses and I took my bushing with me and tried it out on the display router. I was not coming home with the wrong router.

I do thank yall so much for your help. Tomorrow I will see how much wood I can mangle up before I get a good dovetail joint.

Thanks a bunch