Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rough Cut woodworking, Any see new show?

Rough Cut woodworking, Any see new show?

Anyone see Rough Cut Woodworking today?

On the table top he was building. after he jointed the edges for glue-up. He purposely used a hand plane on the edge of the board to create a "Dish" on the edge so when you put the two edges together, there is a gap in the middle. He drew the boards together during glue-up.
    I have never seen this before. Why would you do that over a true jointed edge?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

its called a sprung joint. supposedly makes it so that the joints never separate at the ends.

Blog Entries
    Right, sprung joint. Some swear by them, some don't care. Gary Rogowski has a method of doing this as part of your normal power edge jointing that requires no change in setup, just technique.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Hello,

I'm new to these forums, might as well jump right in.

I was taught to prepare edges for glue ups that way as well. The theory is that the ends of the boards will shrink at a higher rate than the center because the end grain is porous. The "spring" is supposed to off set that. If you get it exactly right you can glue up smaller panels with only one clamp.

BTW, seems like a lot of great info and idea sharing going on. Looking forward to contributing.

-Paul

Dave, when did it air? The WGBH web site still lists "no airings scheduled" for rough cut. Is it airing in your area now? Huh, found it...its replaying tonight, I'll have to watch.

Oh, the sprung joint thing works. You can put one clamp in the middle and the outer edges get pressure and squeeze!. I'm not saying use only one clamp. And always rejoint the leading edge before ripping to width when gluing up a top from multiple sprung joints, They have a way of getting thiner in the middle!
    Last edited by Peter Quinn; 10-03-2010 at 7:41 AM.

Proof one can learn something new.

Thanks everyone.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I just watched it this morning. Wow, that is a fast moving show. They are on the edge of speed talking there. I think I need to watch it again a few times to form an opinion, but my initial reaction is "Did you just see that go by?" Nice to see good solid technique and beautiful wood. I'm still wondering about using shellac for a working kitchen table though?

Some of the better quality heavy-duty jointers can set to create sprung joints. The amount of spring is ideally quite small.

I rarely used sprung joints, and I've never seen my glue joints open up at the ends, even on furniture I made years ago, so I think the advantage of sprung joints might be as much theoretical as practical, and whatever advantage there is might largely depend on the wood's moisture content.
    Last edited by Frank Drew; 10-04-2010 at 5:49 PM.

He does talk fast. I noticed that just about everything in his shop is new! I would compare this program to Woodsmithshop more than NYW. Woodsmithshop and Rough Cuts shows more techniques than project building from start to finish. NYW and Woodworks took a project from start to finish. I liked that a lot. I am just happy that we have another woodworking show on TV. One can always learn something new. I guess that I should send Woodcraft a thank you note for underwriting Rough Cut. That is a large financial commitment to our hobby.

NYW got me into woodworking, I hope that T-Mac can do the same for the next generation of woodworkers.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

Quote Originally Posted by John Gregory View Post
    He does talk fast. I noticed that just about everything in his shop is new!
    For the record, one of the majors (IIRC, it's Woodcraft) is the main sponsor for the show.

They basically said, "Here, Tommy. Tell us what WE sell that YOU want, for the show."

I was there on one of the two or three delivery days.

Lemme' tell ya: it was painful to watch (I think the proper term is "envy.") !

They really seem to be doing a good job of saying, "I'm not hawking products for you that I don't LIKE."

Is THAT part sustainable ? Time will tell....

Neil, I think you somehow managed to live through one of my fantasy day dreams! You know, one of those, "spend $40,000 in ten minutes" sort of things...

I guess it is smart. I mean, this will certainly trigger some deep desires for various tools and it can only help with sales. Funny that by contrast Norm NEVER showed a tool label. It was his policy I believe.

Hey, wait a minute. Are you saying that with the pick of the litter, he chose the WoodRiver planes? He was using one last night. My local WC carries Lie Nielsen!

No sign of the show here.

Dan-

Just one thing: I left home with nothing but a copy of Tommy's CD (not that I wasn't grateful, by the way ... !).

Are WRs made BY, or FOR Woodcraft ?

I think so.

If so, then there may have been a little bit of push, here and there, about what they wanted him to want ... so to speak.

I didn't get all the details, but I DID clarify that he does have his principles, and that he genuinely stood by the notion that he didn't want to take part in selling products that HE judges to be inferior.

It's hard to imagine that there won't be some give-and-take along the way, though. Nature of the beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Overton View Post
    No sign of the show here.
    Feel like jotting your local station a note ?

My thought: a WW show would have to be REALLY bad before it brought any harm to our common passion, generally.

I don't think I have to detail ... what I think are the benefits of bringing more WWs into the fold.

Norm and delta

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Karachio View Post
    I guess it is smart. I mean, this will certainly trigger some deep desires for various tools and it can only help with sales. Funny that by contrast Norm NEVER showed a tool label. It was his policy I believe.
    Are you kidding me? Almost every thing Norm touched had the Delta/Porter Cable name on it! In some cases it seems they dragged in equipment just so we could see Delta's latest model. I can't believe Norm's first choice in band saws was a Delta 14". I was watching a replay last week and noticed a close up of his router...his Makita router was painted grey!! The name plaque had -grey tape over it.

I think he actually has more hand skills than was ever showcased...it was a a power tool show...more power tools means happier more supportive sponsors.

And its not like Norm ever discussed the virtues of one method or tool over another...like a dado cut on the table saw vs. with a router. Not did he ever offer advice to audience about cutting mortices with a drill-press and chisel...just used his DELTA hollow chisel mortiser...a bench top model rather than say a General International floor standing unit or a PM 719 or JDS Multi router or a Slot Mortiser.

For record Woodsmith does the same thing....every thing is Powermatic or Rockler...to an extreme point.

Only This Old House has seemingly no tool loyalty...the subcontractors use whatever and Tom Silva has been making his love of Festool apparent for the last year or two.
    Last edited by Matt Kestenbaum; 10-05-2010 at 10:08 AM.