Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Distribute object(s) on a path

I think I may have been mistaken.
    Mike,

Instead of being mistaken, I think you just forgot that it is the BLEND function that allows us to fit shapes along a path. This is significantly more versatile than Transform>Rotate. If the following doesn't make sense, I'll throw a YouTube video out.

Notes: My experience is to add one step at a time. Do not check all the functions in the Blend Docker at once, but step through each setting then apply:
    1. Duplicate a shape and blend it (20 times in example)
    2. Select a path and apply it
    3. Check "full path" apply it
    4. Check "rotate" apply it (if desired)

If you'll fiddle with this function you'll see it is an awesome design tool.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Roy Brewer; 10-04-2010 at 11:07 PM. Reason: spelling
    Roy Brewer[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Epilog/Control Laser/Roland engravers/Xenetech

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Brewer View Post
    Mike,

Instead of being mistaken, I think you just forgot that it is the BLEND function that allows us to fit shapes along a path. This is significantly more versatile than Transform>Rotate. If the following doesn't make sense, I'll throw a YouTube video out.

Notes: My experience is to add one step at a time. Do not check all the functions in the Blend Docker at once, but step through each setting then apply:
    1. Duplicate a shape and blend it (20 times in example)
    2. Select a path and apply it
    3. Check "full path" apply it
    4. Check "rotate" apply it (if desired)

If you'll fiddle with this function you'll see it is an awesome design tool.
    Hi Roy,

I'll take the YouTube video if you wouldn't mind =)
    ULS M-300 30W, CorelDraw X4

Roy, you're right this is awesome - thank you.

The only thing I noticed is that, depending on the shape you blend, objects are not only rotated but also deformed (I tried it with starshapes)

Andrea

Who wants to hear the bells must pull the rope
    Wer die Glocken hören will muss am Seil ziehen

I'll take the YouTube video if you wouldn't mind =)
    Robert,

See if this makes sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7okFhgHzOaw

... depending on the shape you blend, objects are not only rotated but also deformed (I tried it with starshapes)...
    Andrea,

While I couldn't duplicate the distortion you observed, I'm not surprised. The Blend effect seems to have been created for "artsy," or creative projects as opposed to precision projects. The more you work with it you'll say "now why did it do that?" On the other hand, those apparent errors often give us an inspiration for new applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Brewer View Post
    Robert,

See if this makes sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7okFhgHzOaw
    Roy,

I've been the IT Industry for many moons. As such, I have seen/dealt with many many various pieces of software, graphics and other wise, both from the development side and end user side.

But what I have never seen is such a straight forward, easily comprehensible, and practical demonstration of a software's feature as I have in your video.

Not only did I learn about the blend tool, but right-click to copy, and the contour effect. Which I've been looking for, but under the name "Offset Tool" as it is called on some of the CAD programs I use.

If you ever get tired of playing with the laser, I think you have a nitch there and could give lynda.com a serious run for the money.

BTW, what screen recording software are you using to create that video?

Thank you very much.

Roy

Thanks for bailing me out. You are a master when it comes to Corel.

Actually, I thought of the blend tool but forgot how it worked for objects. I use it for blending colorfills.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 10-06-2010 at 1:17 PM. Reason: addition.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Andrea, I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I have a
    monitor screen that is wider than it is tall and have another dual screen
    next to it and it is square. I've noticed that when I rotate an object in CD
    it seems to distort it on the rectangle screen and not the square screen.
    Output is spot on so, I think it's a distortin of the screen and not the
    job in CD.

Just my observation.

Anthony
    "No man is a failure who has friends." -Clarence

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS

Epilog Legend EX 45watt, Corel Draw 12 & x3, Photograv, Wacom tablet 4x5, ShopBot PRS96x48 w/spindle, airbrush and shop full of tools.

New Career?

If you ever get tired of playing with the laser, I think you have a nitch there and could give lynda.com a serious run for the money.

Robert,

Hmmmm....maybe we should check to see if roy.com is available for when daddy (aka Roy Brewer) gets tired of playing with the laser.
    Jeanette Brewer
    Engraving Concepts

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette Brewer View Post
    Robert,

Hmmmm....maybe we should check to see if roy.com is available for when daddy (aka Roy Brewer) gets tired of playing with the laser.
    Looks like

LearnCorelDraw.com

is available, So is

CorelDrawMaster.com

and

Grasshopper-LearnToBeACorelDrawNinjaMasterLikeRoy.com

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Walters View Post
    Looks like

LearnCorelDraw.com

is available, So is

CorelDrawMaster.com

and

Grasshopper-LearnToBeACorelDrawNinjaMasterLikeRoy.com
    I keep thinking I should register allthegoodnamesweretaken.com, just in case.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Anthony, I have a wide screen too. But when I arrange the star shapes (using the Corel star shape) along an ellipse the corner stars are distorted, you can see it when you turn them back. I'm still using Corel 11 though. I needed a function to create my own linestyles pretty often and the blend/spray can tool was too much of a hazzle to me, so I additionally purchased Xara and work in combination with that. In Xara you just create a shape and you can assign it as a linestyle which you can use on any shape, with c&p I just insert it into Corel.

Lee, I just took whatintheworldiseverybodytalkingabout.com

Who wants to hear the bells must pull the rope
    Wer die Glocken hören will muss am Seil ziehen

Had the same question in Adobe Illustrator. I made a brush tool to do it, but blend might have worked. I figure blend would distort the middle pieces a little, like Andrea noticed.

So many features, and yet the software still doesn't have a tool to align on a path.

Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

Quote Originally Posted by David Fairfield View Post
    Had the same question in Adobe Illustrator. I made a brush tool to do it, but blend might have worked. I figure blend would distort the middle pieces a little, like Andrea noticed.

So many features, and yet the software still doesn't have a tool to align on a path.

Dave
    David,

The pattern brush achieves this quite nicely. Just draw a circle or a few with the right distance between them (use the transform tool for this) and then make it into a pattern brush. Draw the shape which you require the circles to be distributed on and then apply the brush. Magic. You can tweak the brush to get exactly what you need and it will change the distribution on the fly.

Once happy with the results, expand so that the cicles become paths.

If not happy with allignment, use the allign tool. It work relative to your art board or to a shape. To make it relavant to a shape, Highlight everything you want alligned, then click again on a the shape you want everything allinged to. The outline should become bolded which means you are on the right track. Then choose your allign (top, left, etc.)

Hope that helps.
    Jit Patel
    London UK

30w Trotec Speedmarker CL (Galvo) with 400mm & 250mm lens
    80w Trotec Speedy 400 with Rotary, Vacuum Table, Cutting Lamellas, 2" & 1.5" lens, Pass through
    Oki Printing Press
    Abobe Creative Suite - Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign.
    Vector Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Walters View Post
    ... what screen recording software are you using to create that video?
    Robert,

In the middle of the night I recalled that I didn't respond to the above. I have used Camtasia Studio for many years and have no idea how it compares to others; it works for me and I look no further.