Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Distribute object(s) on a path

Distribute object(s) on a path

I can do this easily in various CAD programs, but how can I evenly distribute circles (objects) along a path in Corel X4?

I'm wanting to cut a pipe flange gasket and distribute six bolts holes around a six inch pipe (as example).

I'm more than wiling to RTFM, if you can point me in the right direction/link.

It be easy enough to draw in cad and export to Corel, but I'd prefer to do it all in Corel if possible.

As far as I know, you can't arrange objects along a path in Corel - it's only possible with text. So that could be a workaround, create your own font with that a circle or use a existing font some, have circles as special characters.

If they have to be arranged in a circle, there is another way though. Draw one circle, move the center point of this circle to the middle of your pipe (that will be your rotation point). Go to the "Rotation" flyout and - since my language is set to German, I don't know exactly what the name of the tab is. In the field for degrees, type in 60° and click on apply to duplicate. You need to do that 5 times and you have your holes arranged

Hope this is understandable

Andrea
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Andrea Weissenseel; 10-03-2010 at 6:28 AM. Reason: screenshots

Who wants to hear the bells must pull the rope
    Wer die Glocken hören will muss am Seil ziehen

Objects can be aranged in a path in Corel. Check tutorials by Alex Galvez on you tube.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Also this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=124257.

Although, as Andrea points out, the general "bolt holes in a circle" problem is a lot easier using a copy-and-rotate approach.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I used to just open AutoCAD and use the polar array but now I do what Andrea does. It's the Transformation tab and you can use it for objects. I'm not on the work computer now, but I think in X5, I can tell it how many copies I want, where I used to have to hit the copy button once for each time I wanted to copy which was a pain.
    Scott Challoner
    30W LaserPro Spirit (Need more power)
    30W Wisely Fiber Galvo

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea Weissenseel View Post
    As far as I know, you can't arrange objects along a path in Corel - it's only possible with text. So that could be a workaround, create your own font with that a circle or use a existing font some, have circles as special characters.

If they have to be arranged in a circle, there is another way though. Draw one circle, move the center point of this circle to the middle of your pipe (that will be your rotation point). Go to the "Rotation" flyout and - since my language is set to German, I don't know exactly what the name of the tab is. In the field for degrees, type in 60° and click on apply to duplicate. You need to do that 5 times and you have your holes arranged

Hope this is understandable

Andrea

Thank you Andrea,

The Corel HELP file was actually useful in locating the "Rotation" flyout for once =)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Objects can be aranged in a path in Corel. Check tutorials by Alex Galvez on you tube.
    Hi Mike,

His videos on YouTube are limited to ten minutes,
    but I looked on his website too and only found text-on-a-path:

http://www.coreldrawtips.com/site/fit-text-to-path-in-coreldraw

not object-on-a-path.

Have a direct link by chance?

I was just using the flange as an example.

I found this macro, but it looks pretty basic (haven't tried it yet):
    http://www.oberonplace.com/products/...ects/index.htm

Guess I'm just used to tools in other programs

Robert

The feature has been in Corel for a long time but I have not had for it so I can't recall the tutorial I saw.

I use some macros from the Oberon site. They are safe and good.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Mike, is making objects a spray can object what you mean ?

Who wants to hear the bells must pull the rope
    Wer die Glocken hören will muss am Seil ziehen

Often it's just a lot quicker to do stuff in a CAD package like Acad (or one of the free cad packages available) than Corel... Luckily Corels import and export functions have improved with time so importing the cad output is relatively painless.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Robert,
    here is another great macro, the original intention was to place LED's but some people use it for rhinestones placing, it works in X4 and X5 only, I see that you're in luck, also is in sale right know only$19.00, I hope this will help.

Ruben
    Last edited by Ruben Salcedo; 10-04-2010 at 10:28 AM.

Andrea

I think I may have been mistaken. I had done a couple of clock faces positioning numerals within Corel but I've forgotten how I did it. I'm aware of the artistic media tool but that wasn't what I was referring to.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

There is definately nothing native to Corel that does this. I needed to place about 500 holes along several paths and believe me I looked! I ended up using VCarve Pro for my cnc router to do it and it was easy as can be. Pick the path, pick the object to place and tell it how many instances of the object to place on the path, that's it. I exported it to a pdf and imported that into Corel and I was done in about 5 minutes.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Ruben Salcedo View Post
    Robert,
    here is another great macro, the original intention was to place LED's but some people use it for rhinestones placing, it works in X4 and X5 only, I see that you're in luck, also is in sale right know only$19.00, I hope this will help.

Ruben
    Thanks Ruben!

Now, if it can solder the LEDs too... HAWT DAMN