Thread: Acrylic attaching question

Acrylic attaching question

I have engraved numerous acrylic awards, but never worked with an award that required two acrylic pieces be attached to one another. I am working on a dozen 3/4" x 5" acrylic stars from JDS where the star needs to be attached to a 3/4" by 4" base. The award is made in such a way that a 3/4" x 3 1/4" part needs fastened to a 2" x 4" x 3/4" base, there are no attachment holes or pins/posts.

What is the best product to use for this?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Greg Vaughn [Epilog Helix 45W] - CorelDrawX3 - Photograv 2.11

WMP http://www.tapplastics.com/info/vide...=windowsmedia&
    QT http://www.tapplastics.com/info/vide...mat=quicktime&

The solvent is typically MEK (Methyl ethyl ketone) or derivative formula.
    Last edited by Robert Walters; 10-03-2010 at 4:09 PM.

JDS supplies the solution you need. It is called Better Plastic Bond. I suggest using a syringe to apply. It comes out pretty fast and works best for me when applied with a syringe.
    Epilog 35 watt, Rotary Attachment, Corel X-3

Thanks! I wish these would have been made with posts or some other allignment method ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Greg Vaughn [Epilog Helix 45W] - CorelDrawX3 - Photograv 2.11

You can also try 3m transfer tape. That way you won't mar any of the the visible surface.

If its a complicated shape, you can pre-attach the tape to the back of the plex, and laser through both the plex and the tape. The stuff is very strong, not like regular tape that fails after a couple of years.

Just make sure you align properly on the first try otherwise you gonna have a very hard time taking it off. Maybe make a cardboard alignment jig. I keep a supply of this stuff on hand, its very useful for many things.

Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

Greg

If you do a search I think you'll find several threads on gluing acrylic. The previous answers should also lead you in the right direction.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7