Thread: Maple Finishing Question

Maple Finishing Question

I've got some beautiful maple burl that I'm working with, and I'm trying to figure out how to finish it. It's being used in conjunction with black walnut, and I'd like to try and keep it was white as possible. Herein lies my problem ... I'd also like to bring out as much of the grain as I can, but I don't want the amber look that I've gotten in the past. What would you guys recommend? Thanks.
    Jim V

This would probably be the one time I'd try "real" Tung Oil as it tends to be a lot lighter than BLO. But super blond shellac would also penetrate a little and help pop the grain without the extreme yellowing.

Another idea is to use some dye to highlight the figure by applying it and then sanding most of it off so it only stays in the grain pattern. I've seen this used to great effect on figured maple as it adds contrast without darkening the whole piece...which sounds like your aim. One of the finishing experts would be better able to explain the whole process to you, however...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim,

You recomended me to do the "dye" method also. Is there a particular color you recomend? That is what I'll be doing. However I haven't had time to start that project yet...

Scott...I haven't done this myself but have seen a number of pieces done by others this way. Suggest you PM Dave Malen as his work is extraordinary and that's how he did it. I suspect that something amber would help highlight the figure without darkening the overall look after sanding it off the less porous surfaces. That's what's interesting about this method...you can get so many looks simply by varying the dye color that is used to pop the figure!
    --

Jim's eluding to the other finishing experts on the site, but where are you .......... all out Christmas shopping???!!!!!

Donnie Raines is another good one to PM about this...he's a figured lumber maven!
    --