Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our new Kitchen- Hickory NEVER again

Our new Kitchen- Hickory NEVER again

I haven't posted much here lately as most of my time has been spent tearing down a wall, tearing out a kitchen and rebuilding everything. I still have a ways to go but the cabinets are mostly done. This was two rooms a smal kitchen and a small dining room.

- The backsplash and around the 3 sides of the island are going to be rock faced slate veneer panels. You can see them in some of the picks againts the wall.

- I still need to cover the Beam in hickory, a place not to far from here makes 10-12" hickory flooring that is sanded to look like it is hand scraped. It will look more like a hand huned beem when done.

-I still need to make the kick plates out of hickory.

- I learned I love the look of hickory but I don't think I ever want to do a big project out of it again. Can you say tear out.

-This was my first big cabinet project. I was pretty happy but most of all the wife was very happy. This was the only room in house she never cared for.

- I put down handscraped hardwood in the rest of the house 5 years ago but I bought extra for when I took down the wall. It matched great you can't tell were the new starts. Around the kitchen cabinets I used a floating cork floor for warmth and comfort.

- I used blum blu motion slides and the 450lb 30" fulterer pantry slide. That thing is amazing.

- We even did our own granite. It was much easier than I thought. I bought prefab slabs the came 26"x78" and the island was 36"x78". I made the island cabinet the right size so I didn't need to cut the island top. The rest cut easy with a circular saw and a daimond blade. I bought a varible speed angle grinder and diamond polishing pads the polish up the edges. I bought the farm house apron sink so I could under mount it with only make straight cuts.

- let me know what you think
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Hallowell; 10-03-2010 at 9:24 PM.

More Pics of the kitchen
    Attached Images Attached Images

I really like the heartwood framed by some of your door panels. The contrast is beautiful. The whole project looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Murphy View Post
    I really like the heartwood framed by some of your door panels. The contrast is beautiful. The whole project looks great!
    +1.

I've never worked hickory, have no idea how bad the tearout is. But I gotta believe it is worth the pain, that kitchen looks awesome.

Great looking kitchen! I have to say, hickory cabinets are my most favorite. I just love the natural look and the contrast. My wife hates it, which is a bummer. Your cabinets are pretty much the look I like best. Well done! Great sink too.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

WOW! Outstanding job. Been trying to convince my other half to let me redo the cabinets. Want to use Hickory too, but I don't know if she's sold on it yet. Your pics will help my cause

That is beautiful. You might have helped sell a lot of hickory here. :-)
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

Thanks for the kind replies guys.

my hickory seemd to change grain directions every 10" which made lots of tearout on 75% of the boards luckly before I started I picked up a drum sander for a good price as I couldn't of got that look without one. routering was bad also but I came up with a few tricks that help. Most surprising is how well end grain routered.

thanks,
    Bob

Hi Bob,

Your kitchen turned out great. The granite is great as well. All is very professional. I have just installed my kitchen cabinets and I am ready for granite. I did my bathroom granite, but I don't know about the kitchen.

Great job, thanks for posting photo's, Sam

Looks Great! Very Professional Appearance!
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Thumbs up I sense opportunity here

- I learned I love the look of hickory but I don't think I ever want to do a big project out of it again. Can you say tear out.

"Gee dear, I like Hickory too but tearout is a real bear with that stuff. Helical heads really help with gnarly grain and tearout............"

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post

"Gee dear, I like Hickory too but tearout is a real bear with that stuff. Helical heads really help with gnarly grain and tearout............"

Darn good point! to bad I didn't think of that earlier Kitchens almost done now

Really nice work, Bob. And you are a brave man doing your own granite...soapstone I can see, but granite is a bit tougher! LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Built my shop cabinets out of hickory. Didn't realize the tear-out issue as my J/P has helical heads. Guess I lucked out on that one.

It's pretty heavy stuff to work with too, but seems strong as all get out.

Love the slide out pantry! Going to have to research that some more.

Well done,
    Scott