Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Our new Kitchen- Hickory NEVER again

Blog Entries
    Nice looking kitchen. Lots of special features. I made a bedroom set from hickory and working with it is a learning experience. You have to pay close attention to the grain and sometime route from each side to prevent tear out. Carbide cutters help as HSS cutters will dull too quickly. I found that multiple passes with very light cuts produced less tear out. If I did see any tear out I could climb cut that area and eliminate the tear out on the next pass.

You need a well tuned saw and good feed techniques to prevent burn marks.

I love the smell in the shop after working with hickory all day.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Hi Bob..Great Cabs!!
    I have a small project coming up using Hickory. I have already planned the boards. I used a 10" J to get started and finished with a 15" P. I did not notice any tear-out during this. My project will have 4 raised panel doors and 2 drawers. Did you have any tear-out during the making of the rail and stiles or panels? Any tips may help me get through it.

Thanks
    JJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Really nice work, Bob. And you are a brave man doing your own granite...soapstone I can see, but granite is a bit tougher! LOL
    Jim the Granite wasn't near as hard as I thought it was going to be. I ordered it from a place down your way. Very reasonable about 1/5 the cost of having profesionals do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyy Johnson View Post
    Hi Bob..Great Cabs!!
    I have a small project coming up using Hickory. I have already planned the boards. I used a 10" J to get started and finished with a 15" P. I did not notice any tear-out during this. My project will have 4 raised panel doors and 2 drawers. Did you have any tear-out during the making of the rail and stiles or panels? Any tips may help me get through it.

Thanks
    JJ
    JJ,
    part of my problem was I used #1 instead of clear because I wanted the flaws and knots. But I even had tearout on what appeared to be clear sap wood. I could tell planing it most of the time if I was going to have a problem routering by how much tear out I had planing it.
    One trick besides climb cutting was to leave each long grain face being routered 1/8 long, router it and trim off 1/8 and rerouter it. this is how I got best results and crisp edges on my drawers. Never had a problem routering end grain.

Bob

Love the grain, gorgeous!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Bob, it looks really good. Impressive that you did the granite too!

I have never seen a knife block like the one you have in your drawer but I like the idea. Did you make it?
    Salem

Quote Originally Posted by Salem Ganzhorn View Post
    Bob, it looks really good. Impressive that you did the granite too!

I have never seen a knife block like the one you have in your drawer but I like the idea. Did you make it?
    Salem
    They look easy enough to make, but I was busy enough with everything else I bought it from amazon.

Bob

Thanks Bob, I just needed a pointer. I could not tell from your picture how the space for the handles was shaped.