Thread: Poly/Varnish Over Watco Danish Oil

Poly/Varnish Over Watco Danish Oil

I just recently finished a cherry toychest with just Watco Danish Oil. It was a long drawn out process to build a consistent sheen. It took about a half dozen coats with some wet sanding in between to remove some of the tacky mess.

I am just about ready to start finishing a cherry bookcase to match. I was thinking about either putting a coat or two of wipe on poly/wiping varnish over a coat of the watco danish oil or adding a little poly/varnish to the danish oil. I pulled the MSDS for the danish oil and it is only 7% varnish. I was hoping to build a consistent sheen with less coats.

Has anyone attempted to topcoat over Watco Danish Oil or mix in some poly/varnish?

I wouldn't mix the two. For a color match, I'd use a thin coat or two of the Danish oil on the raw wood, let it dry thoroughly, then use a wipe on varnish on top.

The more Danish Oil you apply, the longer you should let it dry.

But yes, you can apply a wiping varnish (either poly or alkyd) over the danish oil. I'd test either though to make sure you have zero adhesion probs; poly is notorious for this.

You can do either thing. Adding varnish to the Watco will help it achieve an even sheen a bit faster. Or just make your own Danish Oil mixing varnish, BLO and mineral spirits in about equal proportions.

You can also use an oil based varnish over Watco, after it has cured. I wouldn't use poly however, but go with a non-poly oil based varnish. They are fully compatible used that way.