Thread: Bamboo

Bamboo

My sister in law wants a bamboo cutting board for Christmas. Where can I get bamboo and are cutting boards typically end grain? Thanks in advance.

I got several samples of bamboo from Plyboo (www.plyboo.com). Some of them are bamboo on a plywood substrate and some are solid bamboo pressed together. They even sent a sample that was end grain on the face that was about 1 1/2" thick. I never used any of it. Hope this helps.

I have seen bamboo cutting boards done both ways. I picked up some Bamboo step treads at HD a month ago I need to use them for something. I though about cutting boards but I am not sure what type of glue was uses and if that would be a problem. They are unfinished and they were $5 each.

check out Franks for bamboo. You wont be disappointed.

http://www.franksupply.com/

I hope your bamboo experience is better than mine. I found it to split and splinter worse than anything I've ever used.

Made several for Christmas gifts last year. Purchased the Bamboo from rockler at $15 linear foot (less 20% gift cupon). Worked out well, even rounding over the cross grain ends with a router. I was pleasantly surprised. As a side note, you can purchase complete cutting boards for less than buying the material.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kaufman View Post
    Made several for Christmas gifts last year. Purchased the Bamboo from rockler at $15 linear foot (less 20% gift cupon). Worked out well, even rounding over the cross grain ends with a router. I was pleasantly surprised. As a side note, you can purchase complete cutting boards for less than buying the material.

Joe
    Joe:

I noticed that they are pretty cheap to buy - Chinese imports!

Thanks,

Greg

I have a side grain cutting board of bamboo. No problems so far with it splintering.

I would mention that there are different species of bamboo. Fly rod makers prize Tonkin Cane the most. Not available while the Vietnam war was going on. Available now.

It should be "tempered" at 350º for 15 minutes for optimum performance. This is a valuable tip.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I have a side grain cutting board of bamboo. No problems so far with it splintering.

I would mention that there are different species of bamboo. Fly rod makers prize Tonkin Cane the most. Not available while the Vietnam war was going on. Available now.

It should be "tempered" at 350º for 15 minutes for optimum performance. This is a valuable tip.
    George:

Is the bamboo tempered before or after assembly?