Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roto-orbital sander as polisher

I don't have the polisher but I suspect it has the forced rotation function. As previously stated when I put much pressure on sander, the surface rotation nearly stops and it becomes more of a jittery motion. Works well for sanding, not very effective for buffing or polishing. I've watched aircraft detailing crews polish brightwork. They were using what appeared to be DeWalt angle grinders with 8"-10" fabric disks.

DeWalt makes a large right angle buffer. I don't think it has random orbit, though.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I don't have the polisher but I suspect it has the forced rotation function. As previously stated when I put much pressure on sander, the surface rotation nearly stops and it becomes more of a jittery motion. Works well for sanding, not very effective for buffing or polishing. I've watched aircraft detailing crews polish brightwork. They were using what appeared to be DeWalt angle grinders with 8"-10" fabric disks.
    The Porter Cable doesn't have forced rotation. What you are describing sounds like a typical random orbital sander.

With forced / geared rotation, no matter how hard you push on the sander, the disk keeps turning, not just oscillating.

Orbit Polish beware

Funny.. I just posted a similar request. There is critical question.. what are looking to polish? If its Lacquer, then you have to use a variable low speed - below 2200 - according to the Fine Woodworking site that has a good article on French Polishing - which is what I am after. I'm dong cigar boxes.

My challenge is finding a palm based variable polisher that is 6" or smaller.

Question for the group: What tool do you use to polish smaller projects? BTW - I use the 3m imperial polish. Very expensive by fantastic on lacquer.
    Last edited by Mike Fitzrad; 10-12-2010 at 5:30 PM. Reason: correct grammar and to clarify a statement.

I think I'm going to buy a good roto-orbital sander, first.

Then, get a cheap 5" polisher at autozone, for $30, and see how long does it last.