Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new shop electrical questions

I also have a 200 amp separate service to my shop. Not that I need that much power, but I wanted enough slots in the box and that was the only way to go. 100 amp would have been plenty from a power standpoint.
    I wired 2 separate circuits for lights in the main shop, and 4 circuits for all 110 outlets, and the lights in the finishing room, all these with 12 guage wire. I also wired 8 circuits for 220. As it turns out (not the way I planned for it originally) I have 3 of these as twist lock receptacles in the ceiling. 2 are for the 2 table saws, and one for a future jointer. I have another on the wall for the bandsaw, one for the cyclone, one for the future compressor, one for the future PTAC, and another for the welder, all with 10 guage wire. I should have ponied up for some 8 guage for the welder just in case, but I think this will be fine for the hand me down welder my Dad gave me when his eyes started going south. At this time, there is never more that the cyclone (5hp) and the bigger table saw (3hp) plus lights running at the same time. When other items get added, then the A/C and the compressor could also be on at any given time with the other two.
    On the subject of lights, I'm like Bob Coleman. My main shop is 20 X 24. I have 2 rows in the center with two 4 bulb 8' fixtures end to end in the middle of the shop, and spots for 6 2 bulb 4' units, only 3 of which are installed now. My wife says it's way bright in there. With my aging eyes, it seems about right. No shadows on my work surfaces. Some in the 3 corners where I still need to put up fixtures. I also have 5 pair of incandescent light fixtures, 3 pair of recessed, and 2 pair of surface mounts that can be aimed to cover all the tools with bits or blades that spin, just in case the fluorescent tubes make them look like they aren't spinning. Hasn't been a problem yet, though. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I have to look into this 2nd meter box idea. It might be the way to go and end my frustration with figuring out if I'm overloading the box.

Mark,

Check with your local public utilities company.

My 2nd meter has a minimum billing of $7.50. So, even if I am gone a month, I get billed for that amount. If, however, I use $10 worth of electricity, I get billed for just $10.

I had to provide the meter, base and service entry wired. They came out and ran the additional wire and made the connection free.

Keep in mind since you are building a new shop, it's easier and cheaper to over wire it initially than to add boxes etc.

I work in hospitals daily and have seen where eletrical systems were stressed to the maximum. I have had to live with some of the results or tell the customer they needed to upgrade the electricity because it was the cause for the unusual failures we were seeing in their new million dollar machine. Bad grounds......I have had to deal and troubleshoot them. Static electricity due to low humidity. A real killer for computerized equipment..hard to troubleshoot....and more expensive to fix after some HVAC engineer left a humidifier out of the original design.

I have been in my shop for nearly 5 years now...added tools.....still haven't been disappointed with what some might define as a overly engineered electrical distribution system.

JMHO.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....