Thread: Penn State Ind Turncrafter Commander

Penn State Ind Turncrafter Commander

In the latest issue of FWW, there's a review of benchtop lathes. I haven't previously seen a review of the Turncrafter Commander from PSI which looks like a Delta 46-460 clone. They gave it the Best Value award.

Anyway, for those considering purchasing....

(requires subscription)
    http://www.finewoodworking.com/FWNPDF/011215036.pdf

A friend of mine just tried to order the 12" Turncrafter Commander. He said they told him they are gone, as soon as they come in, that he could get on the list for one, by placing his order. It may be the first of the year before he gets it.
    I think PSI jumped the gun on advertising this, and then not being able to fill the orders.
    I know he's at least one who is going to go for the Jet mini, or the Delta 12", and forget about the commander.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

I considered that, and in consult with a knowledgable lathe acc. mfg, Im going to stick with the Delta 46-460.

I have used the Delta 46-460, and a Jet, and I would not trade them for anything that PSI would sell. If they say it is just like the Delta or Jet, then buy the Delta and Jet. You know for a fact that both of those two companies have countless amount of time in making those lathes an R & D in them as well. I also belive the will stand behind the craftmansihip that goes into there product.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dice View Post
    If they say it is just like the Delta or Jet, then buy the Delta and Jet..
    Nobody's making any claims like that. I just said it LOOKS a little like the Delta. Neither PSI nor FWW have made that comparison. FWW just says it's a good value.

I just thought the budget conscious might find it interesting. SHEESH!

I recently took a class that required some turning -- they used PSI and Jet lathes. My station had the PSI

If you look at the pictures you will see that the cast parts are identical on the PSI and the Jet. They are nothing more than the regular mini lathe with a bed extension. The heads are partially different as they have different motors and controls - and some minor differences in the parts that are added to the tailstock.

While they work Ok -- I am surprised that FWW reviewed them so favorably. The VS Jet always gets high marks with pen turners - I am sure that any of them would be fine for doing pens. They just do not have the heft to easily work a larger block of of wood - it would be a challenge.

I have seen full sized fully functioning used equipment selling for the price of the Delta -- no comparison.