Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

4 Oct 2010

Good Morning Everyone,

We've been really loving all the nice cool weather we've been having and it's an awesome welcome from the heat of the summer.

The shop is getting swept and cleaned and been making advances in getting my shop clean as well as some necessary firewood stacking. I help Mark Cothren align his tablesaw and did some test cuts to check it out and then setup his Incra Miter 1000. Mark is about to make his 2nd craddle, the 1st one I had the honor of helping him and the 2nd one will be made by him. I am extremely happy for Mark and his family.

The LOML and I have been working on re-upholstering my Great Grandmother's old chair and we hope to get it finished this week. After that, I will be starting the plans for my daughter's hope chest and then construction of the hope chest. Joseph, my son, wants to make himself a gun rack and I guess I'll be the "project instructor" for his project. It's time for him to learn how a piece goes from idea to finished product.

Well, that's it for me...so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Well I got a bunch of wood working done . Spent an hour trying to find my Milwaukee saber saw (after the move). Eventually found a POS HF model. Managed to cut cord slots in the pack of a shelf just before the blade broke. Recalled why I decided it was POS. Decided to throw it away, but decided I'd better wait until after I found the Milwaukee.

After reinstalling the shelf, I did get all my networking equipment reinstalled and operational. The voip box even came online and nailed up first try...too bad I can't find the base station for the cordless phones now!

I reassembled my daughters trampoline early Saturday morning. I think I got in a whole years worth of isometric work out!

Wanted to have fried gator Saturday night, but didn't feel like going out. Luckily the Tide was delivering!

Got the aprons and legs machined for the desk I'm building for my wife. Three sided live edge Western Maple with lot's of figure. Also got started on a hew coffee table for the living room. Sunday went on a long bike ride and had a great time.

I was at drill all weekend. So I did not get a lot accomplished around the house. And I did not even walk into my shop.

I went out to my dads yesterday for some sawmilling. Overall, pretty productive. We cut about 700 bd.ft of aromatic cedar and about 300 bd.ft of hackberry, the majority of which came from one 40" diameter log. I've decided that big logs aren't always worth the hassle. We cut from about 10:30 am to 5 pm with a lunch break and one afternoon break when one of the log stops jumped its track. By my math (and based on the price sheet from a local sawmill), that's about $1800 worth of lumber. Not bad for a Sunday. Then we had some home-made ice cream and German chocolate cake for dad's birthday. Overall, a success.

Ryan

Survived IKEA wardrobe assembly

After several stops and starts due to wrong cabinets being deliver by IKEA, we finished our roughly 8 foot by 8 foot PAX wardrobe assembly for one of our bedrooms. As predicted by friends who had previously gone through this, the sliding doors were the hardest. 2 doors, roughly 4 x 8 foot in size, aren't that fun to hang onto unfamiliar track systems. Installing the shelves and clothes bars afterwards was much faster and more fun. Watching my wife load all her clothes into the unit and fill it up as we had planned on, was the best part. Most of her friends or co-workers couldn't believe she resisted an entire wardrobe for her own clothes, but I and others actually had to talk her into it over a several month period. At any rate, I'm really glad it's done...........
    Now I can get back to uncluttering my shop, you know, the impossible task......

I spent most of the weekend, and pretty much every free minute for the past week, working on a basement remodel. LOML and I are just about finished with the electrical and framing. I think we've got one or two more nailing strips to add to the the end wall joists, and TV cable to run. That shouldn't take too long so I expect that tonight we'll be hanging drywall!

I have finally almost finished the "cold room" counter and the shelving. "Cold room" is what I learned from my wife's family from Michigan. It is a walk in pantry in the basement. Mine is 8'x16' with concrete floor with two outside walls being cinder blocks. The other two partition walls are covered with 1/4" boards. There is a freezer, an under the counter type refrigerator and a wine cooler along the wall with no shelves. That wall will be the next step to make the appliances look like built in.
    First weekend I finished covering the floor with ceramic tile. Another weekend, the suspended ceiling with new recessed lights and new lines from main panel for the appliances and the bench. This weekend finished the assembly which required on location assembly and face frames. Used birch 3/4" for the main structure and 1x2" poplar for the face frames. I bought the materials from a local supplier other than big box stores but was disappointed with the quality of the poplar. It was poorly resawn but it was finger jointed stock to begin with. I didn't realize till after the delivery truck left. Since I am going to stain it, I thought I could get away with it. Remains to be seen. Still few details to be worked out... It was a long weekend and my wife thinks that I am such a talented genius so that's all it counts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spent the weekend tidying up the house and fixing small items around the house that I've been putting off for an apraiser later this week.

-jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by Callan Campbell View Post
    After several stops and starts due to wrong cabinets being deliver by IKEA, we finished our roughly 8 foot by 8 foot PAX wardrobe assembly for one of our bedrooms. As predicted by friends who had previously gone through this, the sliding doors were the hardest. 2 doors, roughly 4 x 8 foot in size, aren't that fun to hang onto unfamiliar track systems. Installing the shelves and clothes bars afterwards was much faster and more fun. Watching my wife load all her clothes into the unit and fill it up as we had planned on, was the best part. Most of her friends or co-workers couldn't believe she resisted an entire wardrobe for her own clothes, but I and others actually had to talk her into it over a several month period. At any rate, I'm really glad it's done...........
    Now I can get back to uncluttering my shop, you know, the impossible task......
    He said IKEA!

New baseboard in the basement where I rent necessitated by the sewer backing up the previous weekend. Oh and my recently cleaned shop is now a complete disaster due to storing things in there while waiting for the new flooring.

The only thing I got done in the shop was to run the power to where the condenser for my AC is going outside the shop.

Finished my courses for GM training, until today when 4 more were added. Worked on the ceiling in the finishing room, went for more OSB, worked with TLOML in the back yard spreading fertilizer, after raking. Sunday, finished the ceiling, and cut 4 of the 6 pieces of trim and got them primed on all 6 sides. Kept the hopper filled while TLOML spread rye and fescue seed over recently fertilized back yard and watered it all in. Oh, had to put a new filter in the sprinkler system so it would water properly. Mowed the front. Watched the Ranger lose their 2 last regular season games. They didn't look like they cared. All in all, a pretty full weekend! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Oooh....Oooh....oooh...I was in the shop this weekend and actually doing woodworking! LOL I started on my next tack trunk commission on Sunday and it's interesting how things move faster when you're on the fourth iteration. This will be another QSWO fielded trunk similar to the last one, but the trim will be different. It will also have a deeper lid for leg wrap storage.

Otherwise, I did my regular riding lesson on Saturday and finished painting the first coat on the trim of my study room project in the 250 year old portion of our home. I still need to do the new wide pine floor in there, but decided to deal with all the painting first. And my hats off to you pro painters out there...doing good paint is hard, tedious work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gill View Post
    He said IKEA!
    Yes, I said IKEA..? My shop's too small to easily build an 8 foot by 8 foot wardrobe, even in sections for the most part. I haven't taken over the front section of the basement so I'm still working out of just part of it in the rear of the house while the front's loaded with boxes and stuff clear to the ceiling. Also, since my wife's having her colon removed early next month there just isn't time to haul plywood home, cut, assemble, finish, and still be there fully for her before the surgery. You just have to buy things every once in awhile.