Thread: Another Schlumpf/Peace Knockoff

Another Schlumpf/Peace Knockoff

A big thank you to Steve Schlumpf and Mike Peace for their tutorials on setting up a vaccum pump system. I decided last week I had put off building one long enough. The directions seem simple now but it took me more than a few readings to figure things out.
    10-4-10 Vacuum Pump 032.jpg

Have only used it on one hf but it works!
    10-4-10 Vacuum Pump 027.jpg
    But not at that pressure!

Slick setup, Baxter!! With my Holdfast system, I have found a wide variance in the Hg readings on various turnings. Just did the bottom of a dish form, and it pulled 24 Hg. Most turnings are 20-22, but some are barely over the required minimum. Seems much has to do with the contour, finish and the porosity of the wood.

3. Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Slick setup, Baxter!! With my Holdfast system, I have found a wide variance in the Hg readings on various turnings. Just did the bottom of a dish form, and it pulled 24 Hg. Most turnings are 20-22, but some are barely over the required minimum. Seems much has to do with the contour, finish and the porosity of the wood.

The porosity of the wood is the main issue, as some really do allow more air to pass through than others. Coarse grained are the worst, so some may have to have a little wax or something as a temporary sealer put on it to bring the hg's up to safe turning levels.

This is true whether you have a vacuum pump or a venturi system like the hold fast. Without enough vacuum the piece will surely go a-flyin'
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Looks like a good set-up, Baxter. You are surely going to love having it!

Invest in masking tape!

If not immediately apparent, some masking tape does a good job of helping to close off some of the more porous woods from becoming a CFM hog. I like using a sanding sealer before applying vacuum to a piece, and the sealer helps keep tape from leaving residue...not that it's been a problem.

Also, I like to run a bead of tape around the interface between the chuck and piece, as extra insurance.

You're gonna love having vacuum to finish bottoms...allows that 'extra step' that often goes undone. Have fun!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Only dumb queston is the unasked one...

Okay, nice looking set up, but what is it used for? Please excuse my dumb question, but I am completely self taught and I have trying to figure that think out. What is the advantage? What is it used for in turning. I stated out with a Sears lathe I picked up from my brother in law and he picked it up at a yard sale. I have been a bit short on the instructions. Never took woodshop in school etc. However, I figure the only way to learn is to ask dumb questions once in a while.

Baxter - congrats on getting your system up and running! You are going to love it!

Dan - a vacuum system allows you unobstructed access to the bottom of a turning. Many times folks are left with a tenon to turn off the piece and when using a vacuum system - you can turn off the tenon and then sand the entire piece because you do not need the tailstock to hold the work on the lathe. Works slick!

I started on the Craftsman mono-tube lathe and it does the job. Best advice I can offer is to get with your local turning club - lots of folks to show you the proper way to turn!

Have fun!

Enjoy your new system Baxter!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

One thing you might consider adding is a good size external filter to the input side of the pump. The pump's internal filter might not stand up well to fine wood dust that will come through the system. Also you'll be able to visually spot when the filter gets dirty.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

Congrats on a nice looking vac system. Looks like it should serve you well.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Good looking system. I know you will enjoy it. Ditto about what Tim said about using a little tape when there is some leakage.
    God is great and life is good!

Nice set up Baxter. Definately get an external inlet filter. I got mine from surpluscenter for about $16 including shipping. Although your pump has an internal filter it is not enough.
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Thanks for the feedback. I will add the extra filter on the intake side.
    When I mentioned I wasn't pulling 27 when I did the hf, it was (maybe?) because I was slowly closing the valve to increase suction. I think it could have gone higher. It seemed like 22 or 23 was enough to hold it securely for light cuts on the bottom. I didn't want it to implode! I really have no clue as to how much it could have taken without a problem. Didn't want to find out on the first one!