Thread: Where to buy lumber

Where to buy lumber

I decided that I would like to buy some wood for a small project like a book shelf or something simple. I have just been using scrap around here and its all bowed, cupped, etc etc. I got to looking at the Lowes site and noticed that everything is 1 inch and up. I need something like 3/8 or 5/8 of an inch thick. I do not own thicknessers or jointers yet. Where do yall that can not resize the thickness of your wood get it at?
    <-------- Knows nothing of WoodWorking. Wants to know everything about WoodWorking.

Many lumberyards -- including the rather decent one, in my 120,000 person town -- will mill lumber to your dimensions for a "reasonable" fee.

I'd simply make a quick call to the lumberyards in your area -- NOT the BORGS, necessarily (that would include Lowes and the Depot....).

Good luck !

Thank You.
    <-------- Knows nothing of WoodWorking. Wants to know everything about WoodWorking.

Too bad we are on opposite sides of Texas, I'd be happy to let you use my jointer and planer long as you promised not to turn all "cable guy" on me

I'd say look for a local woodworking club and make some friends, most woodworkers I know are a friendly lot.

(Careful though, you could fall in with the wrong crowd and when they tell you about their #8 jointer you might find out they don't mean 8 inches )

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Blackshear View Post
    Too bad we are on opposite sides of Texas, I'd be happy to let you use my jointer and planer long as you promised not to turn all "cable guy" on me

I'd say look for a local woodworking club and make some friends, most woodworkers I know are a friendly lot.

(Careful though, you could fall in with the wrong crowd and when they tell you about their #8 jointer you might find out they don't mean 8 inches )
    I would love to be able to use them but you have to know that I have no experience with them. I think the woodworkers club may be a good idea too. I am fairly friendly myself so I may have a good time.

Oh, come on, Guys ?

How far apart could you BE ?

I mean ... it's not like Texas is THAT BIG.

[duck and cover]

Lowes does have thinner wood in the stores. If you have a store nearby, look directly below the oak, poplar etc. Those racks have [IIRC] 1/4" and 1/2" boards up to 4 feet long. I use the 1/2" poplar for drawer boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Overton View Post
    Lowes does have thinner wood in the stores. If you have a store nearby, look directly below the oak, poplar etc. Those racks have [IIRC] 1/4" and 1/2" boards up to 4 feet long. I use the 1/2" poplar for drawer boxes.
    I did just discover that. I feel like the poplar my be a good wood for me to practice building boxes with dovetails. Is that right or do yall suggest I practice on something else?

Poplar cuts nicely and is a good wood to practice with. That's how I wound up using it for drawers.

Now, depending what the boxes are going to be used for, you may want to eventually go for a wood with more character. In the meantime select the poplar carefully if you are going to build boxes with it that won't be painted. Avoid pieces that look green if you plan on using a clear finish.

I have no experience in this (went straight from Lowes lumber to rough cut), but I suspect you pretty much get what you get from a millworks. You may get to choose the rough cut plank and may have an idea what the grain looks like, but once the board is cut, you get what you get. It will be straight as an arrow when they plane it, but who knows if it will move after it acclimates a bit. With store bought, you know what the grain is and can pick a straight one. Not saying it won't move a little once you get it home, but it will move less than a freshly cut board. Another advantage of Lowes, etc is that they don't seperate their wood. You can get a piece of curly maple or quartersawn oak for the same price as any other piece.

Unless you are running a support across the width of the shelf, you'll probably want to use 1x materl (3/4" actual) to have sufficient strength to build a "bookshelf". Perhaps you're idea is small enough that you could get away with 1/2" mtrl, but I think that would only be good for paperbacks or just a few books.

Quote Originally Posted by James Malcolm View Post
    Unless you are running a support across the width of the shelf, you'll probably want to use 1x materl (3/4" actual) to have sufficient strength to build a "bookshelf".
    I agree. How I read boxes instead of book shelves is beyond me. I was wondering why you mentioned shelves and went back and reread the op.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post
    Oh, come on, Guys ?

How far apart could you BE ?

I mean ... it's not like Texas is THAT BIG.

[duck and cover]
    LoL, I'm closer to Wichita Ks than I am to Houston Tx

Quote Originally Posted by Will Overton View Post
    I agree. How I read boxes instead of book shelves is beyond me. I was wondering why you mentioned shelves and went back and reread the op.
    Will thats probably because I have been practicing building boxes today and have been talking about boxes.

Thank all of yall for your help. I really do appreciate it. I've been looking at wood prices and I now have a new respect for furniture prices.

Might check out Woodcraft, or Rockler. They could have a store near you.