Thread: Grizzly G0441 Cyclone Height?

Grizzly G0441 Cyclone Height?

OK. I still have my cyclone in the boxes. But I noticed in all the pics I've seen it looks taller than what Grizzly list it as. I only have an 8' ceiling. So for those of you who have this cyclone is it really less than 96" tall? Also does the collection bin work as either a 35gal or a 55 gal? I don't have the time to mess with it at the moment but have been re-thinking my purchase. Thanks.

The unit is less than 8 ft tall when assembled with the 35 gal drum. The drum that comes with the unit comes in two pieces. The bottom part of the drum is 35 gals. The second piece can be clamped to the drum extending it to 55 gal capacity. I have mine mounted to the stand under an 8 ft ceiling.

Whew. Thanks. I was getting nervous about that. I have to do some rewiring before I can put it in. I was thinking of selling it at a little bit of a loss and going to the JDS unit which seems to be more compact.

Blog Entries
    I mounted my G0440 as high as I could get it without blocking access to the motor cap on top. You do not want to take your cyclone down just to get to a centrifugal switch should the need arise. I used the 35gal barrel that comes with my unit. I cut the hose that connects the barrel lid to the cone so that it has to be pulled down about an inch to clamp the lid on. This really helps as you don't have to fight the lid at emptying time.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

My ceiling hight is 8"7" and I could have placed the top ring portion on the drum to make 55 gallons but it would have been a tight fit and I know that I would have had trouble lifting the lid off of the barrel, so I opted to only use the lower portion of the barrel at 35 Gallons. The only time that the smaller barrel size has been an issue is when planning down lots of stock ... then I need to keep an eye on the clear hose to see when the chips no longer "fit" in the barrel.
    In many ways though the smaller barrel size is also better for me since I tend to transfer all of my shaving into a large leaf bag which then goes to a friend whom has chickens. 35Gallons nicely fills up one bag.

John

Ron,

Although using the 35 gallon drum should solve your height problem, if necessary, you can steal a few extra inches by not using the wheels under the drum and/or by shortening the distance between the drum and the bottom of the cyclone. Although I have the ClearVue, the Grizzly G0441 is a top performer. Their instructions are very detailed and thorough and should make the install run more smoothly.

Good Luck
    Paul

Not to hijack this thread, but my shop is currently being drywalled and I'm planning on a new cyclone when I move back in. My ceiling height is going to be 91-91.5". Is the 441 adjustable using the stand, or only using wall mount at a lower position? I was otherwise considering the Oneida V3000, but if the 441 can fit in the shop, I'll throw that into the mix as well.

Edit: Just at the Oneida site and see that they now offer a V-5000.
    Last edited by Aaron Montgomery; 10-05-2010 at 11:13 PM.