Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 93 unisaw 34-802, worth the price?

93 unisaw 34-802, worth the price?

I've been wanting to upgrade my hitachi c10fl tablesaw for awhile now. There is a 1993 unisaw 34-802 ,30" rails, 3 hp, 220, for 800$ in excellent condition at a dealer near me. They said they took it in from some union carpentry shop or something like that. It has the jet-lock fence on it with the tube type rails,,,,,,,,, came close to buying it once already and then decided i'd better wait until our contract at work closes. sounds like what i've researched, the fence has to go? it has also sat there for a few months, which has surprised me some, especially hearing how good those saws are. Do you think it's worth considering at that price? And would it be fairly easy to put a Biesemeyer fence on it? Thanks
    Last edited by Chris Brault; 10-05-2010 at 12:17 AM. Reason: forgot to add something

Yes, you can put a Biesemeyer-type fence on it. I put one on a Unisaw which originally had a Jet-lock fence. You may need to change some mounting holes on the table. I was immensely glad to upgrade the fence. But they do cost several hundred dollars, so you should add that to the price you're paying.

The dealer's price seems a bit optimistic. Check your local Craigslist. I see a 3 hp Unisaw with a Unifence and 50" rails for $895.

$800 an d you have to spend $400ish on a new fence? That is not a great deal to me. If it came out of some production shop it probably is close to needing new bearings. The Uni is an old outdated machine that lacks a riving knife and has poor dust collection. I know, I had one. I traded it in on a G1023RL and couldn't be happier. You will be roughly out the same money but have a warranty, riving knife and better dust collection. My 2 cents.

I bought a twelve year old, 3 hp, 220 v. Unisaw with a brand new Biesemeyer 50" fence for $900.00. The bearings were in good shape. Test them by using the coin method. Stand a nickel on its edge and turn on the saw. The coin should remain upright and stable. No high pitched whining or obvious bearing wear. I added a customized base with extension tables I designed and built myself on both sides. I saved about $900.00 and have a great table saw for life. Buy the saw and start building your undercarrage. Spend the money you saved on a good bandsaw.

That sounds a little high to me too, especally since you plan to change out the fence. If it already had the Biesmeyer on it, then yes.

a 93? 17 years of union shop use? $800.00? Needs $400 fence?
    There are better deals - move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    $800 an d you have to spend $400ish on a new fence? That is not a great deal to me. If it came out of some production shop it probably is close to needing new bearings. The Uni is an old outdated machine that lacks a riving knife and has poor dust collection. I know, I had one. I traded it in on a G1023RL and couldn't be happier. You will be roughly out the same money but have a warranty, riving knife and better dust collection. My 2 cents.
    They may be, but for me, made in chiwan just don't cut it.

Cris, I think you can get one with a biessy for about the same price. Just be patient.

Bought and sold mine for 900 usd, newer with the Beismeyer (who knows how to spell this) fence.

I would skip any professionally owned unisaw- there are too many hobby machines out there which will be effectively "as new".

If you are ready to spend 900 dollars, you may want to consider something like the powerematic 66, or even bigger saws. 900 dollars (or 1200, if you want to consider the cost of upgrading fences) will buy you a lot of table saw these days.

Patience, and look every day. And be prepared to travel a little. You need to factor in the cost of gas, etc., but for me it's no big deal to drive a few hours to get a machine that I would be able to use for a long, long time.

Quote Originally Posted by mark kosse View Post
    They may be, but for me, made in chiwan just don't cut it.

Cris, I think you can get one with a biessy for about the same price. Just be patient.
    What year did Unisaw production get shipped over seas? It was made from foreign and domestic parts before that. Just saying.

Too much. Locally I know of a unisaw for 300 and a older green jet for 500. Neither need anything. I'd hold off.

According to delta, it still is made here.

Quote Originally Posted by mark kosse View Post
    According to delta, it still is made here.
    Manfacturing for the New Uni RETURNED to the States with 80% US parts. It was in the press release(2009?). They made a big deal that they moved it back to the states.

Chris,
    I sold my 1970 UNI with 50" fence, mobile base, completely restored 2 years earlier, new Baldor 3hp motor for $900. There are better deals.

Cary

Thanks guys for all the great input, glad i posted the thread! I'll wait and keep looking.

Gary, if you have any more of those old, unsafe, outdated Unisaws lying around, I will take them off of your hands if you give me $100.00 each to take them. I will be glad to take care of them for you. I will pay surface freight. Thanks.

I bought a similar unisaw three weeks ago off Craigslist (Sacramento). Built in 1989, Jetlock fence, 3 hp, great condition, for $500. It was used by a hobbiest.