Thread: Cleaning up the mess!

Cleaning up the mess!

This is the result that me and a SMC member knocked around to take care of the piles of tools around my lathe. The whole thing is on a wheeled automotive tray/cart. The tray is nice since it can be raised to clear the lathe bed and keep the tools closer and it has a little cabinet at the bottom for glue and finishes. To that tray I simple screwed a 2x2 strip that holds a lot of the small stuff, like allen wrenches and tool bits. Then I cut a bunch of scrap into circles and glued them into a pillar of sorts. Around it I screwed 1 1/2" pipe and on top of the "pillar" I glued together a bundle of 1" pipes to make a place for my non-handled tools. All of that got attached to a lazy susan base. It works well and protects my tools.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like it will work out real nice for you Josh! I like the idea that you can roll the whole thing away - should you need the room!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I need one just about that size Josh as I have about 20" between my lathe legs and an adjoining cabinet. Is that a craftsman or another brand? I think I need to actually watch for my craftsman club flyer this month.

Looks good!

Mike

Mike it either came from HF or Wallyworld, it's a cheapy. Here are some liniks to get an idea what it is:
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200397266_200397266
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_669145_669145
    http://www.amazon.com/Work-Table-Bench-Holder-Parts/dp/B0029428FA

Or Google: adjustable tool cart
    Last edited by Josh Bowman; 10-05-2010 at 4:02 PM.

That's a great idea. Now if you could just get the owner of that red truck to stop parking in your shop!

Looks like that should work nicely for you. Well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    That's a great idea. Now if you could just get the owner of that red truck to stop parking in your shop!
    That red truck is how I got my shop!! After my daughter was born, we decided to become a 3 car family. Well we have a 2 car garage and the red truck got kicked out. The wife agreed it needed to be out of the weather. Her idea was a metal carport, after the back hoe and dozer left she knew what my idea was.

Don't get too caught up in this organization thing, Josh!! You will make the rest of us feel guilty!

Nice work - and, I like the ingenuity.

I like where you put the Vac pump------ now I need to find the time to make one of those myself-----maybe after Christmas.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Very nice tool storage idea Josh. I really like that it is compact and you can move it around the shop. Hope you left room for expansion because it seems we always "need" another tool in this sport. Thanks for sharing your idea.