Thread: Skewed again....

Skewed again....

I have been turning on my Nova 1624 for almost 2 full years now. Mostly plates, platters, bowls, bud vases, lidded boxes and winged bowls. I have become fairly proficient with most of the tools, but I tried a skew for the first time about 18 months ago. Being new to to tool, I had a couple of "near death experience" catches. That caused me to put the skew away somewhere distant, till I had more experience. Well, 12 month ago or so, I brought the skew out of hiding and tried it again. The catches were not deathly, but they did cause my heart to flutter some, and my breathing to quicken. So, I put the skew high up on a nearby shelf, where it couldn't see me. 4 months ago I heard the skew crying, so I brought it out and gave it another try. I seemed to be getting the hang of the thing, but there was not a lot of comfort in using it. So, after some more practice, I put the skew in the corner on a bench.
    Well, about a week ago the skew came over and asked me if I wanted to play with him. I gave it a pretty good go, and thought that I was making progress with both the quality(marginal) of my finish, and my comfort with the tool. As it turns out, we have played quite a bit recently and the skew now resides in my tool cabiniet drawer, right next to my bowl and spindle gouges and scrapers. I am looking forward to better days, mastering the skew.

Wink skewed again

The skew can be a little intimidating early on, but once you get the hang of it, it will become one of your favorite tools while spindle turning.

Fred,

Congratulations!

The skew is the most misunderstood and mistreated tool in the turner's arsenal. I have never witnessed it but I have heard rumors of turners throwing the skew and sticking it into a wall or ...it's heresy....regrinding it make it into a scraper.

If you have not seen or don't have Alan Lacer's first video ....The Skew Chisel....get it. It is incredible!

Once you become proficient, you can leave a finish that any sanding will deteriorate the finish....

Congrats!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 10-05-2010 at 4:58 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Methinks it's the nature of that beast. welcome to the club!

I feel your pain...truly...

I took a one day class at Woodcraft, which I HIGHLY recommend to anyone new and without benefit of someone to show them the ropes at least once. During that day, we used the skew and were shown how to use it. I did 'ok' I thought, a few catches, but then I had it where I could just use it to touch up a bead and no issues.

Well...I started doing nothing but bowls and non-spindle stuff for months after that class. I then had occasion to use my skew and WHAM, there's catch after catch.

I later had an opportunity to attend a "skew workshop" one of our clubs had, and the "lightbulb" on what I was doing wrong was this. I often allowed the upper 1/2 of the skew to touch my piece, instead of just the lower 1/3rd or so from the heel. Once I started doing that, my control was back and while I would still get occasional catch, not as frequent.

Good luck, and get someone who CAN use one to watch you and see what you're doing. It's likely something pretty easy to correct.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

My experience pretty much parallels yours. I turned the corner when I viewed the Lacer video as Ken recommends. I have a TV I can see while at the lathe. I view the video and follow the instructions quite often as a review/practice.

Fred, I like you was not able to dance with the skew for years. What got me over it was when I mounted up a between center piece with a dead center at the spindle side and a live center on the tail stock side. I then watched a couple of tube videos and went for it. When I got a catch the dead center simply broke friction and the piece stopped. I was able to spend time learning how the tool felt and worked without the fear of catching.

If you think about it a bowl gouge, to some extent, is just a skew that is bent in a U shape so most of us understand the cut, we just need to put in the mileage to get the feel. I can't say it is my favorite tool, and I don't use it a lot, but it is not the seven headed monster that it once was.
    Trying to eliminate sandpaper - one curly shaving at a time.

Congratulations on rekindling your relationship with your skew... Mine can be an evil temptress at times.

I'm a bit intimidated by those who claim mastery of the skew. I'm afraid that I will always long for that kind of control, but I don't know that I'll ever reach that level. Then again, I think turning would be a little boring without the occasional catch, and I can always count on my skew to keep things interesting.

Congrats Fred. It will be your friend soon. I love my skew or should say 7 skews. I use them all the time. I agree with Ken F. to get Lacer's DVD Skew Chisel. The Dark Side and The Sweet Side. This was the first one I got and practiced till I had it down. Ride the bevel.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I was on the verge of re-grinding my one skew into a scraper and decided to practice until I found a way to make it work. I've since re-ground one of my small scrapers into a skew and have and use 8 of them! Also reduced my costs for coarser grit sandpaper.

becareful, it could be "Skewing" with you

I appreciate the lively responses to my thread. After posting, I was inspired to return to the shop to get in some more practice. I have to make 40 spindles of very curly maple that are 3/8" diam. by 13" long (for a plate rack). The curly maple is not the easiest of woods to practice on, but the skew is going to make the project a lot easier. And, I get paid to practice. They turn pretty well, and with the skew and no steady, it is working well. Of course, nothing reduces the boring nature of turning 40+ of the same spindle. The benefit is that I am getting paid in walnut and cherry turning blanks from the cabinet maker I am spinning them for.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Perreault View Post
    I have been turning on my Nova 1624 for almost 2 full years now. Mostly plates, platters, bowls, bud vases, lidded boxes and winged bowls. I have become fairly proficient with most of the tools, but I tried a skew for the first time about 18 months ago. Being new to to tool, I had a couple of "near death experience" catches. That caused me to put the skew away somewhere distant, till I had more experience. Well, 12 month ago or so, I brought the skew out of hiding and tried it again. The catches were not deathly, but they did cause my heart to flutter some, and my breathing to quicken. So, I put the skew high up on a nearby shelf, where it couldn't see me. 4 months ago I heard the skew crying, so I brought it out and gave it another try. I seemed to be getting the hang of the thing, but there was not a lot of comfort in using it. So, after some more practice, I put the skew in the corner on a bench.
    Well, about a week ago the skew came over and asked me if I wanted to play with him. I gave it a pretty good go, and thought that I was making progress with both the quality(marginal) of my finish, and my comfort with the tool. As it turns out, we have played quite a bit recently and the skew now resides in my tool cabiniet drawer, right next to my bowl and spindle gouges and scrapers. I am looking forward to better days, mastering the skew.
    HI Fred,
    One thing that learned that I do not hear mentioned much is to raise your tool rest up when using the skew. The angle of the presentation becomes more relaxed. In other words... I like working with the tool on top of the wood rather than in front of the wood.

Vince
    VincesWoodNWonders

Thanks Vince..... I accidentally fell upon the idea that being up on the turning some is better than being lower, beside it. The presentation angle by being up some with the tool rest sure does create a better finish, easier to find the bevel, and a smoother, more confident operation.
    By the way, Vince....... I didn't figure you for a skewer, but rather that you would start with 36 grit paper, and chafe your way to the finish.

15. A skew is akin to snake-handling religious sects; if even one evil thought wisps through your head-- your bit.