Thread: Scalable pics of an 18th.C. jack plane I made.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Scalable pics of an 18th.C. jack plane I made.

I have put this up for those who might like to make an authentic jack plane. The plane is shown in enough views to see everything.

The tote on this plane JUST CLEARS the plane iron. Just barely.

The tote is exactly shaped like the original. Also note the large bevels around the plane's body. As time went on in the 19th.C.,the bevels became narrower. Finally,they were just tall,rounded off edges. I refer to English practice.

The handle is off to 1 side. People wonder why. It isn't to facilitate shooting. It actually makes the handle less convenient for shooting. In Elizabethan times,the handles were flush with the user's right edge. Dovetailed into the body with a large,open sided dovetail. Why?

We think the SHORT handle,and its closeness to the edge made you push the plane with the web of your thumb,instead of the palm of your hand. This avoided carpal tunnel from developing in your hand. Those old timers weren't stupid!!!

As with everything else in toolmaking in old times,evolution was a slow process,and in steps. It would be later in the 19th.C. before the handle became centered.

If you copy this plane,be sure to get the handle shape exactly right if you want to pull it off as an authentic design.

Also notice the "eyes" of the plane. The eyes are the scooped out areas on either side of the angled areas that hold the wedge in. They are as they should be. Late in the 19th.C.,very beautiful eyes developed which really were scooped practically to the edges of the body,especially in coffin smoothers. They add a great deal of grace and elegance to a plane.

The joint that the handle uses to be inlet into the body is important: The slant on the front of the joint must be made that way. You will glue the handle in,but that joint WILL NOT let the handle be pushed up out of the mortise. You can pull it backwards and get it loose(except for the glue),but it will not push out,glued or not.

Things in the 19th.C.,even including such things as shoe lasts,got much more lyrical and romanticized than they were in the more functional 18th.C.. This lyrical trend is seen so well in the beauty of the Groves saw handles I just posted. The curves are fantastic. The rounding of the handle's thickness produces tapers like calligraphy. Every thing is more beautiful. Actually,it isn't at all surprising that shoe lasts were rounder and more gracefully curved: shoes are an important part of stylish dress,and they are made on lasts.

As the 19th.C. progressed,things got less well designed in many cases. I think the Civil War era was a period of ugly dresses,and some pretty ugly other things,too. Others may disagree,but I know style.

Make use of the plane if you wish, Just get it right is all I ask.

Note: All of the surfaces on this plane are left as hand planed,just like the original. You can see it best on the wedge. Nothing trued up by sanding anywhere. Competent,quick hand plane finished was the way they were made until later. The handle was rasped,and bastard filed. Beyond that,the workman had to shine the tool up if he wanted,or wear it smooth. Most were too busy keeping from starving to doll them up.

You can also see the escapement just as we chiseled it. Nothing smoothed up. You can see the chisel marks. I did work out a way to cut these throats and escapements with a powerful slotting attachment for our milling machine. Normally used to cut keyways in steel gears,etc.,we made powerful,very sharp chisels out of D2 tool steel. The slotter had a stroke just long enough to chisel out even cooper's jointers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by george wilson; 10-05-2010 at 9:41 PM.