Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scalable pics of an 18th.C. jack plane I made.

These eyes were just cut with a chisel,or a bench knife would do.

In English planes,I think the most beautiful eyes evolved in the 19th.C.,on coffin smoothers. They got larger,and their sides just blended with the curve of the sides. I know there is a picture of a coffin smoother I added an iron sole ahead of the blade to. It has beautiful eyes. I'll try a search. Not sure if the eyes are seen in those pictures or not.

P.S.: Search for "a very nice apple wood plane" It has nice eyes,larger,and more developed than these here.
    Last edited by george wilson; 02-18-2012 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post

In English planes,I think the most beautiful eyes evolved in the 19th.C.,on coffin smoothers.
    After a year + of my eyes getting more acute as to what they like to see, I was going to ask you why they weren't bigger when I first looked through this thread this morning.

But I know better than to think that you made this plane and those eyes or any other part of it without thinking, and figured that they were period that way. A bit chubby. Still a nice plane, and I don't have any as old as this is modeled after to keep to try to copy later.

Just a Jt brown plane from the early 1800s that is very attractive around the mortise, etc.

Straight copies were made as accurately as possible,eyes and all. We even left rasp marks on the handles if examination showed that they were left on the originals. Over many years,stuff like rasp marks have gotten worn nearly off in lots of examples. My Groves saws show traces of rasp marks,and scraper marks.Farther into the machine age,tools were more carefully finished.
    Last edited by george wilson; 02-18-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Blog Entries
    We think the SHORT handle,and its closeness to the edge made you push the plane with the web of your thumb,instead of the palm of your hand. This avoided carpal tunnel from developing in your hand. Those old timers weren't stupid!!!
    Great idea to put the ruler in for scaling George. I am still not sure about the "eye" terminology. I am going to have to find a source of old wooden plane terminology.

My feeling is the totes were not meant to have the user's hand tightly wrapped around in use. I tend to try a bit looser grip on planes when I am using since I have a touch of the carpel tunnel in my right forearm.

Interesting how so many things that were done as every day practice without documentation of explanation are now lost to modern workers.

In the day of these planes manufacture and use a work place may have had someone doing little else all day than prepping lumber off the saw for the joiner at the next bench. It probably wasn't long before they discovered how to keep their arms from going numb by the end of the day.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

This is an excellent very informative thread. I must have missed it when it was first posted. The "eye" conversation was confusing me, but then I searched the applewood plane and can see what you guys were talking about. The tote joint conversation is also very informative. When/if I build my first plane, a jack/fore in this size is where I would like to start. Although part of me would like to experiment with doing it tote less, and just shape the back to fit the natural position my hand falls into when I'm in a planing stance - like you see on continental and krenov planes. When I'm doing a lot of heavy jack planing I often mind self wishing that my hand was not in the vertical tote position. What are other folks thoughts on toteless designs? Other than smoothers, were any of the longer tradition British planes toteless? Anyway this is great, perhaps one of the most informative threads I've read through about plane making, and I will definitely reference it again. Thanks George, and thanks to the folks who resurrected it.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 02-18-2012 at 1:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    The "eye" conversation was confusing me, but then I searched the applewood plane and can see what you guys were talking about.
    I tried searching the applewood plane and got too many results to be of any use.

Could someone post a link?

Doh! My mistake was using the SMC search feature.

Google found it on the first hit:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?168192

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 02-18-2012 at 2:22 PM. Reason: Doh!
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thank you for sharing this, George! Yet another plane of yours that I want to copy!

Not that I will ever show anyone my copy, you set the bar pretty high there, George!

Bob

That is a pretty basic plane. Just be careful that the handle is not a teeny bit too close to the incline of the throat. The iron just cleared the original,which was in decent,not repaired condition. Missed the iron by about 1/8".

I like it. Clean elegant lines. Well done, George.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

That short handle on the 18th.C. repro was made for only about 2 fingers and a thumb. The other fingers can lay on the side of the plane. This,again,was planned so that the force of planing went into the joint of thumb and palm,avoiding carpal tunnel.

On the planes I saw from the Mary Rose (Henry the 8th's ship),the handles were right on the operator's right edge,jammed in with a single wide dovetail.Very crude tools,but made with good sense.

What blade options would people suggest for this plane?

Added in Edit, Possible sources and suggested blade size are welcome bits of information as well.
    Last edited by Jim Foster; 02-20-2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Added 2nd Paragraph

I have found over many years that a properly sharpened and adjusted single iron does just fine. The original of this plane was single.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I have found over many years that a properly sharpened and adjusted single iron does just fine. The original of this plane was single.
    Single irons work great and there are no "chipbreakers" to adjust, tune or, failing that, to catch shavings and clog the plane. Put me down for single irons as well.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

I like your line, "Use the plans, but get it right". I feel the same way about good fair use type work.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

George,

Thank you so much for all of these threads. Great for the experienced and beginners alike. I have such respect for the clean, simple designs that are highly refined and their sophistication is revealed more and more after careful study.

I wish I had the memory to keep track of all this information I wish to absorb.

The handle shaping on this plane is so nice, my third view and I like it more and more.

Thanks,

Pete