Thread: Is Spanish Cedar Suitable for

Is Spanish Cedar Suitable for

The owner of the local hard wood store had a piece of 2 x 12 x 72" Spanish Cedar that was badly cupped (see picture). Since he couldn't sell it, he ask if I could make him six salad bowls out of it. He had bought a platter that I had made out of Spanish Cedar a few months back and wanted the salad bowls to be in that same design.

I told him that I would, but now I am having concerns about making them out of spanish cedar, the end grain seem very porous.

Does anyone know if Spanish Cedar is a suitability wood for a salad bowl???

Attached is a picture of the Salad Bowl without a finish on it. It is 1 1/2" x 9". I was going to finish it only with a Salad Bowl Finish, but now I am wondering if there is a sealer or something that might apply first. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. That is a very nice bowl Bill! I just wanted to recognize your good work, and I am sorry that I cannot answer your question about the suitable finish.

Great form on this bowl
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Spanish Cedar

I used to work a lot with Spanish Cedar and you are correct is is light weight and a bit porus. I would use a sealer.

Here it is still the wood of choice as is Mahogany for furniture. The majority of wood in this photo is Spanish Cedar.
    Attached Images Attached Images