Thread: Wooden Mugs- Your opinions please!

Wooden Mugs- Your opinions please!

Here is a quick look at the wooden mugs I am making. I made some of these a while back and thought they turned out pretty well.

This mug, and 3 others will be for our local Ducks Unlimited banquet. They are walnut with ash accents and antler handles. I made a couple of minor changes from my previous mugs. These are slightly larger diameter. The wooden "medallion" is only temporarily attched and will be laser engraved with the DU logo.

Something about this "prototype" is bothering me and I can't quite put my finger on what it is. What do any of you think? Is the handle too large? Not large enough? Does the handle sit too far away from the body of the mug? Is something out of proportion? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Not being an expert, I'm not sure I should comment, but The feel I get is that the handle is a little bulky at the bend.

Just MHO.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Meritt
    Something about this "prototype" is bothering me and I can't quite put my finger on what it is.
    I'm with you Royce, I've stared at for a while --- if the antler handle is not a requirement, try a simple handle of brass or matching wood; either the walnut or the ash. The natural look of the handle does appear to be heavy and bulky against the slim sleek controlled look of the mug giving a little too much contrast ??

Hope that helps (I could be way off base) ........

Tony
    Tony

I agree

The cup itself is too refined for the rough handle. The cup should either be all rustic or all the other way. Perhaps you might be able to carve the antler to a smooth flowing curve that fits in with the body. A couple of silver rings of inlace around it at the appropriate places might help dress it up also.
    What you do today determines what you can do tomorrow.

I' with the others, so far. The handle doesn't quite fit the mug.

Maybe you can make handles a little smaller from wood in the shape of a duck's head with the beak sort of pecking into the top where the antler mounts onto the mug. A kinda wacky idea, but who kows might work?
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt

Royce,
    Great looking mugs but I tend to agree that the handle does appear to be too rustic for the mug. Or maybe it is too much color contrast. Great workmanship though.

Lou
    Procrastination.......

Maybe I'll think about that tomorrow

Thanks for the thoughts!

Great feedback folks! Sometimes one just needs another opinion. Looking at it again, I tend to agree. The handle is too bulky, particularly at the bend. I'm going to start by re-working the handle a bit and see if I can make it look less "rustic". If that doesn't work I'll make a different type of handle. I'll keep you posted. Thanks. HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!!!

I'm no exper either,

but aside from being too bulky, the handle is too large (long) for the overall stature of the mug... IMHO.