Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kreg Pocket Screw ???

Kreg Pocket Screw ???

My B-Day is coming up and the wife is going to buy me a new pocket screw kit. Yeah!!!
    I was wondering who has had experience with either the K3 or K4 Kreg kits. It looks as though Kreg is discontinuing the K3 jig and replacing it with the K4 system.
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Why do you think the K3 is discontinued?

The K4 is in more places like Lowe's, but IMHO, it is due to price point (customer targeting). The K3 is a much better jig, IMHO, if you ever deal with large items, as the handle is towards you (no reach around).

I'll tell you I just bought the K4 to finish up a project. Needless to say, I now have pieces of scrap wood screwed together It has to be one of the best tools I've added to my arsenal...it's one of those, you don't know how you got along without it tools.

As Randal said, the K3 does have the handle in the front for large projects, but for what I do, this one does the job. I've even already taken it out of the base and clamped it to a project to drill holes. Just gotta ask yourself if it's worth $40 more to have the handle in the front and maybe a couple of other accersories you can get later.

On a side note, remember to adjust both the collar on the bit AND the depth of the jig to match your piece...quick lesson learned!

I have the K3 and it is great. I do not hesitate to recommend Kreg jigs.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

K3 rocks and the screw assortment comes with just enough screws that you will not quite have enough. I'd use the SMC shopping link and order a big box from Amazon for the size you anticipate using most along with the assortment and the kit, I ordered 1000 of the size used for screwing 3/4" plywood together. But I've not opened the big box of screws and been to Woodcraft to buy more of the blue screws used for outdoor projects, so what do I know...
    Last edited by Jerome Hanby; 10-08-2010 at 9:52 AM. Reason: more info

Blog Entries
    I love my k3, it will make you work so much faster. I recommend getting a a K3 master system and a big box of screws.

I thought the K3 had come out to replace the jigs with the front clamp handle.
    The K3 has the dust collector port which is nice to have but annoyingly in the way of the thumbscrew to adjust the spacer. It is plastic of course and looks like it could wear out taking it off frequently. It would be better if the thumb screw were a regular screw or had a longer body so you could make adjustments easier without removing the dust collector housing.

Kreg doesn't appear to have the K3 listed on their web site anymore.
    Only the K4.

Amazon has them both, so if you hurry.......

I have the K3 and (only a few times) have been very happy that the handle was up front.

Since it is a tool that should last a lifetime, the extra $40 may be worth it.

Either tool will get the job done and you will be surprised how often you use it.

I took mine out of the case and put it in a drawer right next to my bench, because I use it that often.

Mount the jig to a small board that can be easily clamped to the bench.

11. I have two K3s, one for the shop, and one to take outside. I love the K3 and would buy it again, just for the extra features over the K4. I have one mounted to a 18"x32" piece of 3/4" ply, for drilling pocket holes in larger pieces. When I need it, I clamp it to my outfeed table, on the tablesaw, and it stores easily when I am done.

Good Luck, Bill

Porter Cable is now making the Quik Jig. Looks like an upgrade from what Kreg is offering.

I got a set a few years ago that had what looks to be a K3 jig, a rocket jig that you clamp on to an edge, and the related accessories. It has worked very well for me, and I am sure you'll enjoy your set. I'd recommend trying to end up with the rocket jig as sometimes it is much easier to clamp it on instead of trying to get a panel aligned and clamped right on the K3 or K4 base. I'd also recommend getting the vise grips clamp deal that has the metal prong that fits into one pocket hole and pulls it tight while you screw the other one in. I've found it is better for alignment and hold than the flat plate vise grips that align the faces.

The Kreg system is EXCELLENT IMHO!!! Either version
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Darl Bundren View Post
    I'd also recommend getting the vise grips clamp deal that has the metal prong that fits into one pocket hole and pulls it tight while you screw the other one in. I've found it is better for alignment and hold than the flat plate vise grips that align the faces.
    They are each designed for a different application. The one with two flat paddles is for doing things like face frames. The one with the post on one side is for holding cabinet sides.

The drilling blocks for the K3 and I believe the K4 are removable, allowing them to be clamped to boards that won't work well in the mounted clamp.